Author Topic: Is This The Rarest Christian Name In All Ireland ? Abin !  (Read 9385 times)

Offline Frank Murphy

• RootsChat Extra
  • I'm going to die, like everone else.
    • View Profile
Re: Is This The Rarest Christian Name In All Ireland ? Abin !
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 July 14 07:13 BST (UK) »

OK sorry, I see what you mean, it's just I found all those variants as I mentioned in my first post in the castlecomer civil & parish records from the 19th century on rootsireland and familysearch and they referred to the same person just different spellings.

Birth : Elizabeth Brennan b.1870 Father Abbon Brennan Mother Mary Kelly
Baptism : Eliza Brennan1870 Father Abben Brennan Mother Mary Kenny

You can see what a headache I have had but I am sure I am not the only one :p

I have come across this in my own family searches, it's down to the people transcribing  the records. In many cases the "original" documents are almost illegible, and they do the best they can. 

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 July 14 08:42 BST (UK) »
Why do you consider Abin as the only "correct" spelling, and write the others off as mistakes? I see that the most recent members of the family spelled it that way but it doesn't make the other versions wrong.

Offline MBR1965

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 July 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
I don't think the other versions are wrong- I think it had many spellings across Ireland, I meant they were  wrong in relation to the one ancestor that I had who was born in 1837 who I was trying to trace at the time  - he was definitely Abin but I agree , it can be spelt many ways.

From what I have learned since I started the thread, it seems to have been an Irish abbreviation or family name for Abraham, as was suggested before by someone .

I have since found Abban and Abin on gravestones in Castlecomer so I think you are probably right.

Offline MBR1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 September 14 11:24 BST (UK) »
Having spent a fantastic two weeks in Castlecomer visiting my long lost relatives, I even found out that the couple I rented the cottage from where related to me through marriage (9 steps removed) - crazy ! I still have first cousins and second cousins over there as well.
In regard to the name "Abin" , I discovered there is also a church just outside castlecomer called St.Abban's , who is apparently a local saint.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abb%C3%A1n

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 11:48 GMT (UK) »
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mjbrennan/brennans_index.htm

Lots of Brennans including one Abbin listed on this link "Brennans in the Parish of Kilabban"   :)
Compiled from Griffiths Valuation

Offline MBR1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 August 16 22:22 BST (UK) »
I discovered he was actually born in Doonane, Laois, just over the Kilkenny border and the local church where he was baptised is St. Abban's.
Abban is the name of the local saint , there is a St Abban's well at Kilgory burial ground in Laois.

Offline codefro

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael,

I think we are distantly related.  My great grandfather was Thomas Brennan, his father Michael, his father Abin.  Small world!

Offline MBR1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
That would be interesting. Since I wrote that post I have spent years researching the family, piecing together various branches etc. I even have a photo of the Abin I am talking about who was born in 1837 along with his wife. His father was indeed called Michael and he did have a brother called Abin, who was married to Ellen Ryan. Their children were Michael, Elizabeth, Mary, James, John, Stephen, Helena, Thomas Winifred. Does that ring a bell ?
Send me a PM if it does but I have discovered at least 3 "Abins" from different families at the same time in Clogh Castlecomer but the fact you have the exact same names in the same order is very interesting.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
MBR1965 - codefro will need to make 2 more posts on here, before his/her PM's will be activated.

Two lots of smileys will do it!  Welcome to Rootschat!

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections