Author Topic: Help please with researching in Gibraltar  (Read 684 times)

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help please with researching in Gibraltar
« on: Tuesday 10 June 14 02:22 BST (UK) »
I am wondering where I could look to find a birth for the daughter of a soldier in Gibraltar in about 1830?

He is Edward O'Garr who was a corporal in the 47th infantry of foot. Date of death was 21st July,1838

Daughter is Mary O'Garr and I found her in the 1841 Census aged 10 and living in the Royal Military Asylum Chelsea (research on this institution shows it was more like a school rather than what we might think for an asylum). Presumably living there because of the death of her father.

Mary's marriage certificate here in Oz shows the name and date of death of her father, but she stated mother's name unknown. She also states she was born in Gibraltar.

I can't find her birth in England so any suggestions about Gibraltar would be appreciated.

Noells
Anderson,Fry,Poad, Fort, -England, Australia
McCulloch - Scotland, Australia
O'Shea, Shea, Egan - Ireland, Australia
Sternberg - Germany

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with researching in Gibraltar
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 July 14 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm struggling with a Gibraltar birth circa 1790. I've emailed Gibraltar Archives twice, first email was ignorred, still waiting for 2nd attempt reply.

Years ago, I did manage to get a birth cert from Gibraltar birth, but I can't remember how I did it, but I think it was via the National Archive, and then the GRO, maybe also findmypast.

There is something you can try if you can get to the Nat.Archive. You have the soldiers regiment, you can look in the pay muster roll books (quarterly) and trace your soldiers history, ie where he was posted, movements, hospitalization, imprisonment etc. They take some time to understand, but are quite illuminating and accurate and you  may learn something interesting.

hope this helps Carolm

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 July 14 00:35 BST (UK) »
Did you look in the Overseas Births section of the GRO indexes?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 July 14 00:53 BST (UK) »
from the official Gibraltar   BMD   Births were recorded from 1848,,,and compulsory registration was only started in 1887

REGISTER  BIRTHS
COMMENCEMENT DATE 3rd October 1848
DATE OF COMPULSORY REGISTRATION 20th January 1887

DEATHS
COMMENCEMENT DATE 1st January 1869
DATE OF COMPULSORY REGISTRATION 25th December 1912

MARRIAGES
COMMENCEMENT DATE10th April 1862
DATE OF COMPULSORY REGISTRATION17th July 1902

For records dating back further than the dates listed you will need to contact the relevant church or researcher as they may be in a better position to  provide you with assistance. In some cases their records date back as far as 1704.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 July 14 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
looking for Elizabeth Dunbar born circa 1790 gibralter, she appears 1841 through to 1871 in uk census as born Gibraltar and that's all I know.
Carolm