Author Topic: Suffolk parish registers to go online?  (Read 52993 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk parish registers to go online?
« Reply #99 on: Friday 27 July 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
From talking to someone I know at one of the LDS FHCs, Northumberland RO apparently approached Familysearch about this and not vice versa, but there doesn't seem to be much known about if and how the RO would generate an income from it so its anybody's guess what is actually happening.

Suffolk RO I would have thought really only have one of two choices, either go with one of the commercial companies or setup their own version of SEAX with all the initial cost/workload that that will entail.  I get the impression they're not really interested in either so its anybody's guess what is going to happen. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Trevor Rix

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Friday 27 July 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
Having realised (I think) that the current pay per view/download is not a good model, Suffolk are now thankfully contemplating some sort of subscription model.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Thursday 02 August 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
All the years they've been faffing about, the entire set of records could probably have been transcribed online by volunteers if they followed the model of Shakespeare's World, or the papers and correspondence relating to The Battle of Waterloo, both of which projects I've worked on.  Nowadays there are masses of people like me, who are only too delighted to have access to these wonderful resources, in return for transcribing them,  so that they can be made available online.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trevor Rix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Friday 03 August 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
Speaking for myself, it is the images that are my priority, not so much the transcriptions. Suffolk Family History Society have for many years been producing partial transcriptions of the registers anyway.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Friday 03 August 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
Speaking for myself, it is the images that are my priority, not so much the transcriptions. Suffolk Family History Society have for many years been producing partial transcriptions of the registers anyway.

Same here. Essex has online transcriptions on SEAX which is very handy. Would be great if Suffolk at least had such a feature. I would not be too worried about transcriptions then if I at least knew the images were online and browsable.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Trevor Rix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Friday 19 October 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
Here is the latest information that I have received concerning this project.

"Suffolk Record Office has been working to scope all the Suffolk Record Office (SRO) IT requirements; as there is a significant amount of digital and IT work for the building of The Hold and its ongoing Heritage Lottery Funded activity plan. Elements of The Hold building, and activity plan have dependencies on the Suffolk Record Office’s activities to implement a new reader ticket system, improve the website including e-commerce and GIS, and to implement a barcoding system.

SRO has met with Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies who are also seeking to enhance their Orangeleaf website online capabilities.  A high-level project plan of all of the record office’s digital/IT tasks has now been pulled together and we are in discussions with Corporate IT about how we can implement it.  The parish register digitisation project is in this plan and is currently due to be picked up again in 2019.  Other strands of work will however be implemented ahead of the parish registers e.g. the introduction of an electronic ticket/plastic ID card system."

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Saturday 20 October 18 19:57 BST (UK) »
When Suffolk records do eventually come online I shall feel like all my Christmases have come at once. Several of my Essex ancestors originated in Suffolk prior to the mid 1700s, as well as my Suffolk born great grandfather.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 19 May 19 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi just wondered if there are any updates on this at all?

Thank you.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Sunday 19 May 19 22:51 BST (UK) »
This has been going on for years and years and we never seem to get further forward.  I'm sure lots of us would be delighted to pay to see the Suffolk Records but as yet they haven't been able to get their act together.  (Grrr)
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk