Author Topic: Surname McKechnie in Ireland before 1860  (Read 12808 times)

Offline MrMcKechnie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname McKechnie in Ireland before 1860
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 November 20 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Robert McKechnie born 1807 in Coleraine, Antrim, Ireland emigated to Glasgow about 1819 with his parents John McKechnie born 1779 Coleraine, Antrim, Ireland and Mary Gray born 1785 Coleraine, Antrim, Ireland. He married Margaret Watters in Cardross, Dunbartonshire, Scotland. They emigrated to Dundas, Wentworth, Ontario, Canada. John and Mary are buried at Alexandria, Dunbartonshire, Scotland.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 November 20 12:15 GMT (UK) »
McKechnie is not a common name in Ireland.  In the 1901 census there were only 39 and most of them were either born in Scotland or children of parents born in Scotland. No McKechnies in Coleraine in the 1831 census. MacLysaghts The Surnames of Ireland says itís a Scottish name and that they are a branch of the Macdonalds.

That all rather suggests the Coleraine McKechnies originated in Scotland.
Elwyn

Offline MrMcKechnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 November 20 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply Elwyn. Would you be the same Elwyn on Irelandxo?

According to a handwritten letter by my 2nd great grandfather my McKechnie's originally came from the Scottish Highlands. John McKechnie b. 1779 stated that "his Father's Father was hieland and wore the kilt and hose." I would assume that two generations would put his Father's Father being born in the highlands 1720ish.

The letter also stated that Mary Gray b. 1785 "claimed to be of Highland race she told one that there was Dougals and Kenniths both Hiland names in her relations."

The letter also states that their names in gaelic were McEchern and McGlashan.

Ron

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 November 20 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply Elwyn. Would you be the same Elwyn on Irelandxo?

According to a handwritten letter by my 2nd great grandfather my McKechnie's originally came from the Scottish Highlands. John McKechnie b. 1779 stated that "his Father's Father was hieland and wore the kilt and hose." I would assume that two generations would put his Father's Father being born in the highlands 1720ish.

The letter also stated that Mary Gray b. 1785 "claimed to be of Highland race she told one that there was Dougals and Kenniths both Hiland names in her relations."

The letter also states that their names in gaelic were McEchern and McGlashan.

Ron

Yes I am the same person as on Irelandxo.

Good to have my theory about the family origins confirmed by your family letter.  McEchern or McEachern sounds right for the Gaelic version. I think there was a fair bit of two way travel between the north coast of Antrim & Derry over to Islay and beyond.  As an example, the fiddle payer who gave us the Londonderry Air (Blind Jimmy McCurry) was born in Co. Derry but his father, another famous fiddle player, came from Islay in the early 1800s.

If the Coleraine McKechnies were RC there are no records in Coleraine earlier than the 1840s. If Presbyterian, the earliest are 1845. The Church of Ireland is the only one with earlier records. They start in 1769. (Copy in PRONI). Otherwise finding records of them in Coleraine c 1807 may prove fairly difficult.

I searched the British Newspaper archives for mentions of Coleraine + McKechnie but without success.
Elwyn

Offline MrMcKechnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 November 20 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I am to the point of finding a connection to other McKechnie's using DNA testing as a last resort. It most likely will not give me a definite connection but may help me to find a point of origin in Scotland.
Thank you once again for your reply.

Ron