Author Topic: Surname McKechnie in Ireland before 1860  (Read 14359 times)

Offline Sabretoothtiger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Surname McKechnie in Ireland before 1860
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 February 06 22:38 GMT (UK) »
My branch of the Irish McKechnie's set up a laundry business in Cork, it is still going as a contract cleaning business. Here are some names - Robert McKechnie born abt 1890, died 1937. Father John McKechnie (born Glasgow?), mother Anges Swan (born Abt 1870, Edinburgh?). Robert married Amy Clayton (c1890-c1955). Any further info about this branch most welcome..

Offline joxer42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 17:06 GMT (UK) »
from my family tree:
John McKechnie b 178?  in Ireland.  Agricultural Labourer.
married
Mary Macklehill b 178?   in Ireland

Their son also John McKechnie b 1810 in Ireland. died Glasgow 1863.  He was a Stay Manufacturer. (Came to Glasgow about 1840)
married Anne Jones b abt 1815 in Ireland.
Their sons James and Arthur were born in Ireland and perhaps also their daughter Jane.  Catherine, John, Thomas and Francis all born in Glasgow.

Arthur McKechnie b about 1839 in Ireland.  He was a shoemaker.
married Catherine Campbell from Dumbarton in November 1859.
All their children were born in Glasgow.

Offline mckechnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 22:27 GMT (UK) »
NouNou,
I did not include the Cork entries in the origianl posting in this series because as far as I can tell the McKechnies in Cork arrived (soon) after 1860. I have been told that they came from Scotland to start a chemical business in Cork. I think I recall being told that it was two brothers who came over from Scotland to Cork then. I cannot just at present lay my hands on all the records I extracted some time back; but one of the brothers would appear, from what I can find, to have been Alexander McKechnie. The records seem to suggest that his first wife (Ellen McArthur) died age 33 in 1873 (children: Alexander b. 1868; James b. (and d.) 1870; Mary Ellen b.1873) and his second wife (Margaret) died in 1877 (children: James Hunter b. 1875;Jane Edith Crawford b.1876; Margaret Agnes b.1877). If my surmise is correct that they came to Ireland after 1860, you may be able to find a trace of the marriage of Ellen McArthur and Alexander McKechnie in the Scottish records. I have not persued it that far since I found no personal connection to this line.
I hope this might be of some help but I suspect you know most of it already.

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 November 07 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Here is another:
Agnes (Nancy) McKechnie was born in Belfast in 1799. She married John Keenan in about 1816. Her eldest daughter, Sarah Elizabeth Keenan, was born on 26 July 1818 and christened on 30 August 1818 in Ballyeaston Parish. Co. Antrim. The family emigrated to Canada (Nepean Twp., Ontario) in 1828

hi

Sarah Elizabeth Keenan was christened in First Ballyeastion Presbyterian Church not Parish and the area born was Drumadarragh. No other information about her from the Baptismal Records for the Church. 

Hope this helps.
John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline legal_translator

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 21:41 BST (UK) »
I would like to contact you concerning your Brannan ancestors - I saw on another site that you are a descendant of a John Brannan of Bideford.

James Brannan

Offline Andrew Mckechnie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 July 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Has anyone created a tree? I am putting together a family tree and want to compare notes. I am a descendant of Robert and James. Please feel free to email me:

Andrew.

Offline Byron2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 July 10 22:52 BST (UK) »
There are some of the McKechnies listed whose original family name was McCaughan in Antrim. They changed their surname.

Byron
McCaughan

Offline Tim Leith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 April 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
Do any of you have anything on a Nathaniel McKechnie?  He was born on or around 1817 in Ireland (unfortunately I don't have a town or county) and died on June 20, 1897 in Muiravonside, Scotland. (Stirlingshire)

His wife's name was Margaret, maiden name Mayberry.

Thank you!!
Tim

Offline JoanK

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 February 16 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my McKechnie Family.  Agnes McKechnie, great grandmother, was born about 1846. On her US immigration records she stated that she was born in Ahoghill County Antrim Ireland.  She lived in Dunbartonshire Scotland by 1908 when her daughter, my grandmother Elizabeth Martin, married my grandfather Alexander Hempstead. I would love to substantiate this information.

Thanks for any help you can give.