Author Topic: Surname McKechnie in Ireland before 1860  (Read 14355 times)

Offline mckechnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Surname McKechnie in Ireland before 1860
« on: Sunday 26 June 05 16:59 BST (UK) »
Over a number of years I have gathered information relating to the name McKechnie in Ireland. I am setting some out of the salient points for the period before 1860. This data has not all been confirmed by me with original sources.

I hope that this helps others; but would also be very pleased if other researchers were able to add to this and indeed make some of the links which must be there just beneath the surface.

1. Brothers Robert and James McKechnie. Born about 1811 to 1816. I do not know where. Robert married Mary Simpson. James married Mary Logan, who was born in Ireland. All the children that I know of of both couples were born in Ireland between 1838 and 1846. Both Robert and James appear to have died by 1861.
2. Robert McKechnie, President of the NY Typographical Union #6, was born in Co. Armagh on 20 Oct 1834, attended the Academical Institute, apprenticed on the Belfast Whig and emigrated to NewYork in January 1854. His parents were William and Margaret McKechnie. William is said to have been born in Scotland and to have been a soldier. Margaret's maiden name is unknown.
3. John McKechnie was an armoury sergeant in the Renfrewshire Militia. He was discharged on 10 aug 1815 and reenlisted on 18 Aug 1815 in Athlone.
4. Rose McKechnie (nee Murdoch) died in Greenock age 76 on 26 Feb 1895. She was born in Ireland, by inference about 1819. Her son, George McKechnie, was born in Ireland about 1847. Her husband, also George, was an army sergeant and had died by 1871.
5. Robert McKechnie, born in Belfast in 1803, joined the 71st Foot at Glasgow on 19 June 1826. His son William McKechnie was born at Claverhouse Castle (Dundee) on 27 July 1832. He was discharged on 11 March 1846 at Kingston, Ontario.
6. William McKechnie, an army pensioner, died at 22 Upton Street, Belfast, on 5 May 1877 age 62 - hence born about 1815.
7. James McKechnie, a printer, died at 46 Little York Street, Belfast, on 29 Oct 1872 age 75 - hence born about 1797.
8. James McKechnie married Margaret Clark in Belfast on 10 Jan 1830.
9. James McKechnie, born 1806 in Ireland, son of Archibald McKechnie and Sarah McMillan, died Hutchesontown, Glasgow, 17 April 1867. He was married to Sarah McCaughey
10. Of the 50+ Irish born McKechnies (males and unm females) listed in the 1881 Scottish census, 4 gave the IOrish county of their birth
a) Robert McKechnie, Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire, age 37, was born in Co. Antrim
b) William McKechnie, St. Quivox, Ayrshire, age 39, was born in Co. Down
c) John McKechnie, Glasgow, age 56, was born in Co. Antrim
d) William McKechnie, Glasgow, was born in Co. Fermanagh.
12. William McKechnie, army pensioner, son of William, married Anne Norwood (widow; d. of Walter Graham) at Belfast Parish Church on 4 Nov 1846
13. Eliza McKechnie, d. of William McKechnie, army pensioner, married William John Chignall on 7 April 1860 at Holy Trinity Anglican, Belfast.
14. In the 1881 census in Greenock, Alexander McKechnie, 17, born in Ireland, is listed as the nephew of David J. Graham.
15. Griffiths valuation lists no McKechnies. But one McKenzie in Shankill Parish, Antrim, is actually spelled McKechine.

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Surname McKechnie in Ireland before 1860
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 June 05 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Offline mckechnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 June 05 22:41 BST (UK) »
Anthony,
Thank you.
Is a compositor a printer?
Are the 1852 and 1870 Belfast records censuses?

Here is another part of the list to add to person 10a)
William McKechnie, General Dealer, Widower of Mary Ann McCartney, died 13 Sept 1921 at 76 Elba Street, Ayr, age 76. His father was William McKechnie, soldier, and mother was Susan [m.s. unknown]

Offline Anthony

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 June 05 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Offline mckechnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 July 05 07:50 BST (UK) »
Item 16 to add to the above list:
16. Robert McKechnie was born in Ireland (place unknown) about 1810. He married Margaret Watters in Cardross Parish, Dunbartonshire, Scotland, on 9 March 1833. Their son, Robert McKechnie, was born in Glasgow 16 June 1834. He emigrated to Canada, married Isabelle Ross (17 Jan 1858) and settled in Dundas, Ontario.

Offline AdrienneB-C

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 05 10:52 BST (UK) »
I've got another few for you, Neil McKechnie born Ireland abt 1837, son of  Hugh and Rose?. Neil married Margaret Hughes in Bathgate W Lothian in 1853. 7 children, Hugh, Agnes, Archibald, Catherine, John, Margaret and Rose. Neil died 1902 Bathgate
Brannan, Gabb, Thoday, Marsh, Carrigan, Gillespie, McIntyre, Colvin, Duffy

Offline mckechnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 July 05 20:58 BST (UK) »
Here is another:
Agnes (Nancy) McKechnie was born in Belfast in 1799. She married John Keenan in about 1816. Her eldest daughter, Sarah Elizabeth Keenan, was born on 26 July 1818 and christened on 30 August 1818 in Ballyeaston Parish. Co. Antrim. The family emigrated to Canada (Nepean Twp., Ontario) in 1828

Offline KatieC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 02:02 BST (UK) »
I have a McKechnie in my tree as well and I was told that the McKechnie family line originated in Ireland, however I have not been able to trace it further than Scotland c. 1845.

Agnes McKechnie married to Thomas McGowan in Gorbals Lanark Scotland Aug 24 1845 (birthdate/death date unknown).

I have children for Agnes McKechnie, however their last name is McGowan so I doubt they would be of much interest for you.

If you have any info on Agnes McKechnie, or her parents I would be greatful.  This is one side of the family I'm unable to trace very far.
O'Hara, McGowan, McKechnie, Liddell, O'Neill, Bashford

Offline mckechnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi!
Sorry. I have no knowledge of her. All the information I have on Irish McKechnies in this period is posted on this site. If she died in Scotland (after 1855) her death certificate should have the names of her parents on it. You could do the double surnmae search (McKechnie/McGowan) on the scotlandspeople site to get that information. Then you might be able to link the parents to others on the list above. Good luck.