Author Topic: Surname McKechnie in Ireland before 1860  (Read 14576 times)

Offline MrMcKechnie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname McKechnie in Ireland before 1860
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 November 20 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Robert McKechnie born 1807 in Coleraine, Antrim, Ireland emigated to Glasgow about 1819 with his parents John McKechnie born 1779 Coleraine, Antrim, Ireland and Mary Gray born 1785 Coleraine, Antrim, Ireland. He married Margaret Watters in Cardross, Dunbartonshire, Scotland. They emigrated to Dundas, Wentworth, Ontario, Canada. John and Mary are buried at Alexandria, Dunbartonshire, Scotland.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 November 20 12:15 GMT (UK) »
McKechnie is not a common name in Ireland.  In the 1901 census there were only 39 and most of them were either born in Scotland or children of parents born in Scotland. No McKechnies in Coleraine in the 1831 census. MacLysaghts The Surnames of Ireland says it’s a Scottish name and that they are a branch of the Macdonalds.

That all rather suggests the Coleraine McKechnies originated in Scotland.
Elwyn

Offline MrMcKechnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 November 20 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply Elwyn. Would you be the same Elwyn on Irelandxo?

According to a handwritten letter by my 2nd great grandfather my McKechnie's originally came from the Scottish Highlands. John McKechnie b. 1779 stated that "his Father's Father was hieland and wore the kilt and hose." I would assume that two generations would put his Father's Father being born in the highlands 1720ish.

The letter also stated that Mary Gray b. 1785 "claimed to be of Highland race she told one that there was Dougals and Kenniths both Hiland names in her relations."

The letter also states that their names in gaelic were McEchern and McGlashan.

Ron

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 November 20 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply Elwyn. Would you be the same Elwyn on Irelandxo?

According to a handwritten letter by my 2nd great grandfather my McKechnie's originally came from the Scottish Highlands. John McKechnie b. 1779 stated that "his Father's Father was hieland and wore the kilt and hose." I would assume that two generations would put his Father's Father being born in the highlands 1720ish.

The letter also stated that Mary Gray b. 1785 "claimed to be of Highland race she told one that there was Dougals and Kenniths both Hiland names in her relations."

The letter also states that their names in gaelic were McEchern and McGlashan.

Ron

Yes I am the same person as on Irelandxo.

Good to have my theory about the family origins confirmed by your family letter.  McEchern or McEachern sounds right for the Gaelic version. I think there was a fair bit of two way travel between the north coast of Antrim & Derry over to Islay and beyond.  As an example, the fiddle payer who gave us the Londonderry Air (Blind Jimmy McCurry) was born in Co. Derry but his father, another famous fiddle player, came from Islay in the early 1800s.

If the Coleraine McKechnies were RC there are no records in Coleraine earlier than the 1840s. If Presbyterian, the earliest are 1845. The Church of Ireland is the only one with earlier records. They start in 1769. (Copy in PRONI). Otherwise finding records of them in Coleraine c 1807 may prove fairly difficult.

I searched the British Newspaper archives for mentions of Coleraine + McKechnie but without success.
Elwyn

Offline MrMcKechnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 November 20 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I am to the point of finding a connection to other McKechnie's using DNA testing as a last resort. It most likely will not give me a definite connection but may help me to find a point of origin in Scotland.
Thank you once again for your reply.

Ron

Offline MaryKoh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 April 24 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,
  I realize this is an old chat, but I am going through the genealogy paper work my grandmother used to work on. I am planning a trip to Scotland and Ireland in the fall so I started going through her boxes.  I came across this thread and definitely have these same names listed in her paperwork. I will just list what I have at the moment and will update more as I get to that box (in the garage, bottom box, of course)

- Stephen McKechnie born unknown, place unknown
 * officer 71st Highlander- Stationed at Claverhouse Castle, near Dundee, Scotland in 1851
- married Margaret Duncan Oct. 7, 1843 at Cardoss/Cardress, Dunbarton, Scotland
  * children:
   - Thomas  christened May 21st 1848, Regent Place United, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
  - William  christened Jan. 5th 1851, Regent Place United, Glasgow, Scotland
  - James christened June 19th 1853,
Regent Place United, Glasgow, Scotland

Stephen died buried cemetery-Elsinore County- Braue(sp?), Township- Arran, occupation: Officer 71st Highlanders

Stephen’s Son

- Major William McKechnie
Born 1832 in Claverhouse Castle
Near Dundee, Scotland, where his father was quartered as an officer in the 71st Highlander
- William married Mary Bell
  * daughter - Edith Maud Hay Lillian McKecknie born April 19th 1972
Port Hope, Ontario
   - Edith married Andrew Robert Tufts
  Children:
    - Evelyn Edith Tufts (McGregor)
    - William Ronald McKecknie Tufts
    - Elmar  Tufts
* Elmar married Amy
* William married Lela Hazel Ellis
* Evelyn married Elwood McGregor

- William and Lela’s child:
     * Vera Virgina Tufts (my maternal grandmother)