Author Topic: Pls help, Is Daniel Kelly who died in Nth Qld an uncle of Ned Kelly's?  (Read 8672 times)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pls help, Is Daniel Kelly who died in Nth Qld an uncle of Ned Kelly's?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 03:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clearing that up, Janet. My brother in law (who I can't name as he is still living but he's a son of Walter James Kelly & Ivy nee Jarred) has told me that there's a book on the Paceys but he hasn't read it yet. Interestingly there are two Walter James Kellys too, both born in Queensland within two years of each other. It does appear from what you'd said about the document  that the Qld based Edward & Daniel then are not related but it is possible that Edward may not have been truthful when he signed that document. It's happened before & still happens unfortunately when money is involved! It just seems very coincidental that they came out on the same ship, both from Kildare with surname Kelly & both married Pacey women. It's great that the newspaper clipping was preserved. My Mum saves everything too! Thanks for getting back to me. Deb
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline Mixedupfamilyhistory

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 May 16 06:40 BST (UK) »
It is a long time since this post has been put up, and I have not read through it only the first few lines. I will read it to see how you went.  I know Ned Kelly had many cousin's in Australia, which are impossible to trace. To be related to a convict became a thing not talked about in the 1900's. I also know Kelly was a very common name.  In my family an Ellen Kelly born around 1800 in the area around Clare and Tipperary was meant to be an aunt or cousin of Red.  One must also remember many women died young and often the men remarried younger women and had second families, sometimes using the same names in both families as the other one had moved on. A stories past down from a Great Grandmother who would of been ten years younger than Ned and claimed she new him as a relation when he past through once. Due to the shame, no more details were given. Her mother could not read or write, so the connection it would not have come through letters.  I do know the same family had relations in Charter Towns, but as it was a mining town many people when through this town.  In claiming estates many people put down they were the only relatives or listed just one other.  This was done to save time as many did not know where their relatives lived or whether they were still alive.  Many could not read or write, there also were limited communications (ie no telephone). In looking for people often letters were written to the last place they were known and many of these were unclaimed.  Some people who use newspapers to put notices in to try and find people or notify of death, however if the person did not read then they would never know.  Sometimes when people died, they were listed by completely different names, as they people around them did not know their correct names. There was a lot of desertion of wives also which can also contribute to name changes. The other thing is to look on both sides of family because Kelly was so common, the relation could of come from Ned's mother side or even Daniel's mother side not father side.  As your brother in-law is a Kelly if DNA testing would link you closer.  Ned's dna was found to work out his remands a few years ago.  The Y marker of men in the same family is the same, thus for about $90 you many be able to solve the question that has worried your brother in-laws family for a few years.

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 May 16 12:05 BST (UK) »
 :) Thanks for this advice, Mixedupfamilyhistory. I think I have worked out that my brother in law's family are not related to Ned's family even though there seem to be many connections (common family names, place of origin). There is nothing conclusive. One of MY relations did a DNA test to look for his father but it cost over $1000 per person to do the test. What test do you know of that only costs $90?  :)
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline Curty

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 November 18 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb,

I would love to know more about what you have found out.  I too am a descendant of Daniel and Ellen (Pacey) Kelly and I am trying to find photographs and information on their son Thomas William Kelly who married Mary Ann Pickford Thorne and gave birth to Mary Ellen (my great grandmother). I noticed you said that your family were from the Tablelands in Qld this is where Mary Ellen was married and died. I would love to know anything you can tell me.

Offline KylieSunshineCoast

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 November 20 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I'm a descendant of Nth Qld Daniel Kelly.  I've found a catholic baptism record for 20 Jan 1817 that names Daniel's father as Kit Kelly (in this case, Kit is an abbreviation of Christopher), and his mother is listed as 'Betty'.  The address given is Ardclogh, County Kildare, Ireland.
Would love to hear what anyone else has found, particularly into the connection of Daniel and John Kelly.  Apparently they resided together in Elizabeth Street Brisbane, prior to Daniel's marriage.  Unsure if it's the same John Kelly that Daniel passed the Ship Inn licence on to? 
Also interested in the connection between Daniel and Edward Kelly. I can't seem to find the Ann Milne records, so if anyone could point me to those, that'd be great!
I have recently ordered an AncestryDNA kit, so looking forward to what information this may bring.
 ;D