Author Topic: Help needed with a census scrawl pls  (Read 6051 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with a census scrawl pls
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 17:37 BST (UK) »
I agree with Andrea - why would she put 'laundry worker' when in the occupation column she's put 'private means'?  :-\

I don't think 'London (Parish not known)' is part of the equation - I think that was entered separately simply as her place of birth.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
Seems odd to be Laundry worker when it says of private means .   I think it is more likely to be a place.
The "London, parish not known" refers to her place of birth and seems to be in a different hand.   She has obviously had help filling the form in and some is written in green ink.   The London bit looks as if it has been over written.

Thank you for having a look.

I have to agree with you that Laundry Worker and being of private means doesn't really agree, especially as she left a little over £777 in her will a couple of years later.  Maybe she was a bit more than just a launderess or washerwoman.  Maybe she worked for a commercial laundry and had risen to a more senior level which allowed her to save a little.  Her husband may have left her something.  He doesn't seem to have left a will, so I'm not sure about that.

She definitely had some help.  A different hand has added "Pte" in front of "Means" and you can see the pencil writing under where she's written "London /Parish not know). 

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
Could it be " liven ( Living ) in Wokin...(Woking)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline shirleylds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 18:01 BST (UK) »
I agree with the all children born ect but I think the top word looks like leadbury and the word underneath wokin meaning woking, which is surrey.

I thought it was saying;
all the children from above by my husband 4 dead liven in wokin- parish unknown
Translated to;
all the children listed above are also my husbands but we have 4 children who died in woking but I don't know the parish.

Could the Leadbury belong to the line above? as leadbury is in Herefordshire.
regards

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 18:08 BST (UK) »
all the children listed above are also my husbands but we have 4 children who died in woking but I don't know the parish.

But there aren't any children listed - she is living alone  :-\

I'm certain that (parish not known) goes with London, is her place of birth, and has nothing to do with the line above about the children.

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
I agree with Andrea - why would she put 'laundry worker' when in the occupation column she's put 'private means'?  :-\

I don't think 'London (Parish not known)' is part of the equation - I think that was entered separately simply as her place of birth.

Thank you for having a look.

Looking at the full page again, it looks like Caroline had a lot of help because she didn't really understand what was wanted.  The same hand that entered "Pte" also wrote in Caroline's full name and her marital status (albeit in the wrong column :) )

I think you're right that the third line is the enumerator's attempt to correct what should have been entered.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 18:35 BST (UK) »
How many children did she have?

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 20:10 BST (UK) »
I could be miles off with this but my first thought was "lien (lying) in Wakem(?) Cemetery." Although it seems a strange thing to add on a census record. Wakem = Wakeham??? Where were her children born and died?

Alexander

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
I dont think she may have understood the census of 1911..who is in household of night of etc' and listed her children from marriage/marriages.  There are no children listed but she gave info thinking doing right.

How many children did she have?

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland