Author Topic: Help determining real last name of ancestor Haslam/Kirkman through ydna  (Read 980 times)

Offline hpykirk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello.
A few years back I posted a request for info in the 1851 census for Robert Kirkman b 1811 Harwood Bolton  Married to Alice Bromley.  I thought it was a simple request but it opened up a whole new can of worms. here is link to original post
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=290950.18
Any way what I found was my relative seemed to have changed names from Haslam to Kirkman and immigrated to the US as a Kirkman with all his children. Many records pointed to the fact he was a Haslam and so were his children.  Now it could have been a mistake in the census I thought but after hounding my husband for 5 years to take the YDNA test through Family tree DNA he finally relented. I found he could not have been a Kirkman the genetic distance was too far. There may have been Kirkmans in the family at some point as he did distantly match a Kirkman from Scotland but not on his paternal line.  It would be great if there were some Haslam DNA results from that area to compare his Ydna to as so far he has not matched anyone on his Ydna paternal line. can anyone help me with this??
thanks
Debbie Kirkman

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help determining real last name of ancestor Haslam/Kirkman through ydna
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 June 14 19:45 BST (UK) »
Have you looked on Ysearch to see if there are any matches

http://www.ysearch.org/

If you tested with ftDNA they give you the option of having your results added to ysearch for free

If the Ysearch doesn't bring no joy you could look at public trees that have a direct male line of Haslam's going back to circa 1810 in Bolton and if there is one or more try contacting them and explain your predicament and they might be willing to do a yDNA test, but you may have to pay for it in part of in full
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline hpykirk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help determining real last name of ancestor Haslam/Kirkman through ydna
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 June 14 20:11 BST (UK) »
I had forgotten about ysearch but the closest genetic match he has is a genetic distance of 1.  I did write to one person whose family originated in Bolton.  will take your advise and look for a Haslam to test.
Thanks!!