Author Topic: KUHLMEY, Elsa Edith father Gustave Kuhlmey married George Willis Jhansi 1918  (Read 798 times)

Offline are you there

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone know anything about Elsa Edith. My great grandfather George Willis was married to Daisy Ethel Millicent Ensell in 1899. they had 2 boys, Wilfred George and Reginald Clifford in 1900 and 1902.

They separated at some point and Daisy re-married John Frederick Priestman in 1918, 2 months later there is a record for a George Willis marrying Ms Kuhlmey. She died in 1932 in Berlin. I could not find any record of her birth although there are records of other children with the father Gustav Kuhlmey.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: KUHLMEY, Elsa Edith father Gustave Kuhlmey married George Willis Jhansi 1918
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 June 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
Don’t know if this will be of any help ( from Mundia)
http://www.mundia.com/in/Person/18788399/712196305

children of Gustave Kuhlmey & Pauline (from familysearch)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/014bg/
unfortunately no details for Elsa

this was posted in 2000 by Valmay tracing gg/gf Wolfram
http://www.rootschat.com/links/014bd/
there’s an email address given
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline are you there

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: KUHLMEY, Elsa Edith father Gustave Kuhlmey married George Willis Jhansi 1918
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 June 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk, I had seen the first 2 links and its intriguing that Gustav is mentioned on the marriage certificate but there seems to be no record of Elsa's birth ( maybe she was adopted by them ?)
The third suggestion re Valmay may produce, I will make contact.
Many thanks for your assistance
Bob

Offline Valmay Young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 June 14 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hello there! Glad to make contact. Elsa is my Great Grandfathers sister. I have Elsa's birth, marriage and death details, but away at the moment. Will send them when I get home later.
India: COLLETT, DUNCAN, HOLDWAY, HACKNEY, HYKOOP, HOGSFLESH, KUHLMEY, NORMAN, ROBERTSON, WARDLEY, WHEELER
England: BECKWITH, GASCOYNE, HINMAN, MCCARTHY, WARDLEY, WOOLF

Offline are you there

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 June 14 10:35 BST (UK) »
Great to hear that Valmay, I look forward to talking more when you are home.
Cheers
Bob

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 June 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
are you there (Bob) - how great that Valmay has more details on Elsa :)

Valmay if you want to contact Bob using the personal message system on Rootschat you
will need to make a further two posts on this thread, if needed here's the guide on how to use the PM system  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valmay Young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 June 14 21:15 BST (UK) »
Ladyhawk - Many thanks  :)

are you there (Bob) - I thought I had Elsa's birth and death details, but I don't. I can confirm that she was born in India and died in Germany though as I my Grandma is still alive and still has a very good memory. There are no official birth records for nonmilitary births in India and have to rely on baptism records. I have searched the ecclesiastical returns held in the India Office Records at the British Library without luck. I found many of her siblings indexed incorrectly due to the unusual surname, so maybe she is still there somewhere waiting to be found!

My Great Grandfather never mentioned that Elsa married, so the family were surprised when I found her marriage to George several years ago. When I managed to trace and meet the family in Germany they didn't know she had been married either and Elsa must not have mentioned it to them as she was buried under her maiden name. She had gone to live with them for health reasons. I have a photo of her taken with her brother Siegfried and his wife shortly before she died and she doesn't look to healthy. I will upload a copy here for you.

I have several boxes and cases of family documents I have slowly been working my way through and if I come across anything concerning Elsa I will let you know, but so far all I have come across is a few letters between her siblings and a couple of photos.

Do you know what became of George? Interesting that he says he is a bachelor when he married Elsa! I am suspecting his marriage to Elsa didn't work out seeing as no one in the family seemed to know about it. My Great Grandfather must have done though, as they lived in the same town, they both worked for GIP and he arranged her move to Germany, but for some reason they decided not to mention it.
India: COLLETT, DUNCAN, HOLDWAY, HACKNEY, HYKOOP, HOGSFLESH, KUHLMEY, NORMAN, ROBERTSON, WARDLEY, WHEELER
England: BECKWITH, GASCOYNE, HINMAN, MCCARTHY, WARDLEY, WOOLF