Author Topic: NSW Address but no name  (Read 12238 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Address but no name
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 June 14 04:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick response, it is all a little messy as 'the grandparents secret'  led to a mangling of names at different periods. My grandfather surname was was Harris [James William], my grandmothers 'first married' name was Harris [Henrietta Alice, nee Moore], which over time morphed into Harrill. Her daughter by Harris  [mums half sister] was born 1894 at Plaistow London. Depending on which census you look at it can be listed under either, the first name is also a problem too as in the UK she can also be found as Aileen, Eileen or Nellie, her middle name was May. At the end of WW1 she did or didn't marry an Australian soldier [name unknown] and left the family to live in Australia where she may have married or not, there she had three sons I believe XXXXXXX, XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX.  Grandad was a master at blurring lines and evading things and the above is the simplified version of events  :)

You have named three sons ..... can you confirm that each of these lads are no longer living?  If they were born in NSW, then their birth certificates are still on the RESTRICTED access if  they would not yet be 100 years of age  :)

NSW BDM restricts access
births 100 years, 
deaths  30 years,
marriages 50 years.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 June 14 05:27 BST (UK) »
Glad to have you aboard JM.

NSW BMD births only go up to 1913 which is a shame as I had a brainwave to search for the birth of possible son C**** (unusual name) with mother Nellie/Eileen/Aileen. Then cross check the other known children.

Agree with you JM - also unsure if passports were required to travel from England, nor birth certificates necessary for any form of ID.

Vectis, Unsure if the birth certificates of your mother and Eileen will get you anywhere but it is something you might like to consider purchasing.

At least we now know the name of Eileen's 'husband' - Jack (possibly a nickname for John), so the marriage to a Higgins I found is not going to be the right one as he is William. (unless Eileen married more than once).   :-\

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 June 14 05:47 BST (UK) »
War Brides .... including fiancees came to Australia at Government expense after both the World Wars  :) and I think the passenger lists are held at National Archives of Australia.    :)  I don't know if they have been indexed....  ::) 

Do we know if "Jack" was AIF ?

It was not compulsory to enrol to vote until mid 1920s.... You needed to be a British Subject and aged 21 years or more.  British Subjects are still eligible to remain on the Australian Electoral Rolls provided they were already enrolled by 26 Jan 1986.   (No such thing as "Australian Citizenship" until January 1949, and in fact Citizenship is still NOT expressly defined in the Australian Constitution  ::) )

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 June 14 05:53 BST (UK) »
Old Age Pensions, War Widows Pension,  Civilian Widows Pension ....  needed proof to be awarded ....  so perhaps look 'outside the square' for possible marriage for Jack and Nellie ?   

Old Age Pension for females and for Ex-Services Personnel was awarded at age 60  (Add, so some marriages were undertaken to formalise long standing partnerships, and to obtain the formal certificate for Old Age Pension to be issued in the 'right' name)

NSW BDM online index allows searching with given name only  :)  so perhaps try Jack and May and then click on the various headings to 'data sort' .....  Canterbury was a 'district' from NSW BDM perspective.

Cheers,  JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 June 14 08:05 BST (UK) »
In May 1952 a person named C. MUNRO was selling a Buick from that address.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18265116?
 The Sydney Morning Herald   Saturday 17 May 1952

If you use Google with the street address you will find a nice picture of the house as it is today.
Not much help with your couple though.   ::)

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 June 14 09:42 BST (UK) »
There is a James William HARRIS who served in WWI from Victoria - he has not declared that he is married. Could this be him? No 457

Regards
Jennaya

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 June 14 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie for taking the time to help. It was confirmed by by my mother and sister [both now deceased]  that my grandparents were not married, he [GF] also had a previous marriage, registered in Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia, 1894 when he was gold prospecting [there lies another mystery :)].

Do you have the name of the person that he married in 1894?

Offline Vectis2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 00:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your time and  efforts. it is much appreciated.

JM,  as you point out I guess it would have been an assisted passage, may be like WW2 when they had a complete 'war bride' ship. As for the three sons I have no idea if they still live or had their own families, all I have is first names, this all rests on finding the family name :)  All searches suggested are real possibilities, even the local RSL may be a go, but I really require a surname to turn up any usable data, this is why I have tried to concentrate on that address as I feel it is the 'key'.

Hey Sue, that advertisement may be a real lead as the 'C' may be one of the sons and I shall try using the name to see what pops up. Amongst some old photos I have is a picture of a house that matches Google images, but 70 or more years ago :)

Hi Jennaya, Grandad married a Katarine Simpson 23/09/1894 [probably Kathleen] at Fitzroy, the story goes that GF had made a bob or two prospecting and set up a business [where or what not known] and then had to return to the UK for a short period, on return he found business and wife gone  :o [off records too!] by 1901 he was back in the UK running a lodging house in Poplar High St

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 00:37 BST (UK) »

Hey Sue, that advertisement may be a real lead as the 'C' may be one of the sons and I shall try using the name to see what pops up. Amongst some old photos I have is a picture of a house that matches Google images, but 70 or more years ago :)

Hi
I did try ( as you propose)  to link a son by name CXXXX to the MUNRO surname, but was not successful.
You may be luckier. :(
Adding- Why was the family sent a picture of the house I wonder? Any Buicks about in it ;D

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk