Author Topic: Passenger List - 1855 voyage "Malacca" Chile to Adelaide  (Read 8575 times)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passenger List - 1855 voyage "Malacca" Chile to Adelaide
« on: Tuesday 17 June 14 09:44 BST (UK) »
The Malacca left Valparaiso, Chile on 8/1/1855 and arrived Port Adelaide 26/2/1855. There were 14 Chilian natives (muleteers), their wives and families on board. The Malacca then sailed from Pt Adelaide arriving at Port Wakefield 3/3/1855. The Chilians and the cargo of mules then travelled to the copper mines at Burra.
I have been unsuccessful in locating a passenger list and wonder if anyone can assist please.
Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger List - 1855 voyage "Malacca" Chile to Adelaide
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hullo Bill, Do you know if the voyage of the Malacca was a once only or was it a regular trip as there is one in 1853?
From SA Shipping
"1853 MALACCA from Montevideo 23 07 1853 R 70 day voyage; mules for Patent Copper Co. arrived Port Wakefield on 18-07-1853"

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil.  Thanks for replying.  It would appear that the Malacca made a few voyages to Australia from Chile; the 1855 voyage details I obtained from the newspaper of the time.  I have checked all the usual spots for a passenger list but no luck to date.  I wonder what would have happened to shipping documents from Port Wakefield?
Bill.
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
LOST, probably. Many shipping and passenger records are now non existant. Your lucky if you happen upon one for your ancestors. I was, fortunatly!! ;)

Even that one in 1853 has just a record of the voyage not the passenger list. Sometimes those on board travelled as crew and they were not listed as passengers anyway. Sort of work your way out!!.

I cannot see one for your ship. :-\
Maybe more experienced others can ;)

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 June 14 00:48 BST (UK) »
Here's another link that, while not giving the information you are chasing, sheds a bit more light on the ship.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/59404276?searchTerm=malacca&searchLimits=l-title=174
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 June 14 00:58 BST (UK) »
It appears there was more than one ship "Malacca", which makes the searching a bit longer.

It seems the ship went straight back to Chile.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/49310381?searchTerm=malacca&searchLimits=l-

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 June 14 03:55 BST (UK) »
The Malacca left Valparaiso, Chile on 8/1/1855 and arrived Port Adelaide 26/2/1855. There were 14 Chilian natives (muleteers), their wives and families on board. The Malacca then sailed from Pt Adelaide arriving at Port Wakefield 3/3/1855. The Chilians and the cargo of mules then travelled to the copper mines at Burra.
I have been unsuccessful in locating a passenger list and wonder if anyone can assist please.
Bill

Cargo of the Malacca, from Valparaiso — 300 mules, 11 horses, 150 bags flour, Patent Copper Co.

I very much doubt any passenger list actually existed.  Survival rate of passenger lists in SA is poor for ships which sailed from England let alone those which would be classed as from foreign ports.  Only 90 kms or so north in the Gulf of St Vincent from Port Adelaide to Port Wakefield.  The ships was possibly classed as a cargo ship and if any manifest existed would probably show x number of passengers in steerage. It appears you have taken your information from the notice of Ships' Arrivals in the Register.  The Register is often the only source for many of the online passenger lists in South Australia.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 June 14 08:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for replying.  I have resigned myself to the fact that I am not going to locate a  Passenger List.  Next step is to contact a local historical society at Burra to see if they have any old accounting records of the Patent Copper Co.  The person I am looking for is Clement Bralla (one of the muleteers from Chile) and he is my wife's 2xggrandfather.  He may appear on the payroll or some similar such record of the Company.
Cheers
Bill