Author Topic: John Barnard 1886 - 1951 Harriet Lee 1887 - 1944  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Dave boy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Barnard 1886 - 1951 Harriet Lee 1887 - 1944
« on: Tuesday 17 June 14 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hello there....John and Harriet are my g grandparents - I know that they were married in 1912 and Johns father Charles is on there marriage cert - I also know that Charles wife name was Louise and she was a fruit hawker from Norwich - John and Harriet were travelling people as was Louise we think? But Johns father Charles came from the Chelmford area was not apparently?
Could anybody help with this as I've come across a brick wall !! - Thanks Dave boy

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Barnard 1886 - 1951 Harriet Lee 1887 - 1944
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
Charles and loiusa are on the 1911 census in west ham with 3 other children  - Betsey jane and rose. charles was born Chelmsford. betsy born Middlesex but other two born Orpington kent.

Offline Dave boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you...I have got some censuses of them living in Orpington going under the name Barnett - what iam trying to link is Johns father Charles who I believe came from a non Gypsy family? - I was in contact with a Terry Barnard from Australia on Ancestry who had a lot if info on maybe Charles family! - maybe I need to subscribe again- any more ifo you could help me with would be much appreciated -thanks again

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
ok now you say Barnett surname I can find them in 1901 with other children and also John at home with family.  I assume you have this. Charles is a farm labourer . SOn Joseph is  a plate layer on railway and John is something to do with horses on a farm so they do not appear to be a travelling family.

there is a 9 year gap between betsy and rose which seems large. did wonder if that meant louise might be a second wife. but found them on 1891 census with more children so perhaps not. charles is general  labourer and Louisa is fruit hawker . I assume you have this and this is where you got your info about Louisa from? 

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 14:19 BST (UK) »
this marriage might fit in with children ages etc

Louisa Elizabeth Balls
Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration district:Hackney
Volume:1b
Page:923
 one groom is Charles Barnett

so it would seem that they are using the Barnett surname  mostly

if that is the right marriage Louisa is easy to trace back with her parents john and loiusa balls and they do not appear to be a travellign family.

Offline Dave boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much vronlady - yes I've got my info about Louisa from the same censuses as you!

What's been throwing me is that I have been thinking that Charles and Louise are from a travelling family!

John and Harriet lived a travelling life! - my dad knows this to be true .

This is my first time on Rootschat so any info you could find for me vronlady would be much appreciated as I've been stuck for ages now on Charles and Louisa and to wether there from a Gypsy family or not.

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 18:42 BST (UK) »
well if this was me and this was my direct line I would get one of the birth certificates for one of the children of Charles and louisa - prob John if that is you direct ancestor to make sure of Louisa maiden name. and then Charles an d Louisa marriage certificate too

john and harriett may have led a travelling life  but it doesn't appear as if there families do and even john and harriett appear to have stayed round London and just into Kent.

Offline Dave boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 20:15 BST (UK) »
Ok thank you vronlady......could you tell me where and how I can buy Johns birth cert please? - I got John and Harriet's marriage cert via Ancestry when I was a member.

Dave

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 20:22 BST (UK) »
Welcome Dave

Butting in to say - don't buy certificates via Ancestry or similar - they charge hefty prices as middleman. Something like 24 per cert last I heard?

Certificates can be ordered from the GRO online for 9.25 each, including postage.  Use FreeBMD to find index details.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/GRO/content/certificates/default.asp

http://www.freebmd.org.uk
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)