Author Topic: common subject William Morgan - Hamlet of CLYTHA  (Read 4165 times)

Offline sutherland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
common subject William Morgan - Hamlet of CLYTHA
« on: Sunday 22 June 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
I have done a great deal of research over the last 2 years much of which has been bountiful but have suffered researchers block and therefore have a hole in my work which I require help.
I have a "Morgan family" according to the 1841 Census living in the Hamlet of Clytha on Clytha farm.
A little back ground history as follows.-
The record shows Ann Morgan "Widow" this has been crossed out, her children John age 23, Ann aka Anne age 20, Evan age 16 and Mary age 3 but I cannot trace Ann's husband William Morgan aka William Robert Morgan and Robert Morgan .
There were more children that were not present at this time which were found on another family tree - William born 1812, Walter born 1814, Elizabeth born 1816, Martha born 1822, Margaret born 1827.

Anne "daughter" to Ann and William on her marriage document shows her father as William Robert Morgan MD which suggests a doctor or Dentist but I cannot find information on him or his past.
A different Morgan family tree does not record him as a doctor but a Gentleman or Gentry? with no further information.
It was suggested that William and Ann has separated but not conclusive.

I think Ann's maiden name was Thompson originally from Newcastle upon Tyne but may be false lead however if true the only marriage document from Ancestry available is 19th April 1806 which would make William Morgan age 16 since I thought him to have been born around 1790.

What I am asking for please is any information on William Robert Morgan, his true occupation and the date of his death. I would be very grateful for any record copies from which the information was sourced.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: common subject William Morgan - Hamlet of CLYTHA
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 June 14 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat.  :)

It looks more like Wicklow that has been crossed out  :-\
H0107/747/8 f5 p2

do you have her on later census

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 June 14 20:29 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth (1815), John (1817)  & Ann (1820) all have their parents as William & Ann on their baptisms - no mention of middle name for William

This marriage confirms William of Clytha  (Still no middle name)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCTB-Z48
marriage by licence

Who did Ann junior marry & when.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sutherland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 June 14 21:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the marriage information, do you have a death record for William Morgan? it might explain why he is not on the 1841 census.
I will post Annies marriage details tomorrow because I need to dig through my files.

Offline sutherland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 June 14 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie, further examination of the census says Widow, Its just the style of hand writing.
Wicklow is a old Norse word meaning "Viking Meadow" itis also a place in ireland

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 June 14 21:48 BST (UK) »
could the MD stand for Master of Divinity, would fit with being gentry.

mike

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 June 14 22:09 BST (UK) »
A bit of background, Clythra Farm on the old OS map is on the fringe of the parkland surrounding Lanarth Court, judging by the farm buildings shewn on the map it is a substantial farm.

mike

edit. there is also a RC chapel in the grounds of Lanarth court

Offline sutherland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 June 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
could the MD stand for Master of Divinity, would fit with being gentry.

mike
Hi Mike,
Problem is there are no land records of ownership of this property to William Morgan, he is some what of an enigma, it is almost as if he had never lived with the exception of his marriage and children. There appears to be very little information on him or maybe I am missing something to point me in the right direction. With the exception of Anne his daughter and her claim that he was an "MD" would her brothers or sisters marriage record the same occupation? is worth investigating

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 June 14 23:07 BST (UK) »
It seems that Llanarth village and all the land in that area was owned by the Jones/Herbert family of llanarth court.

William could have been a tenant farmer, a farm manager, or have some loose connection with the family, looking on familysearch his children seem to have been baptised in the roman catholic chapel, I find this strange as I would expect it to be a private chapel for the family at llanarth court, but I am often guilty of speculation with no evidence.  :)

mike