Author Topic: Alexander McKenzie b 1798 North Erradale, Gairloch, Ross and Cromarty.  (Read 21630 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McKenzie b 1798 North Erradale, Gairloch, Ross and Cromarty.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 27 July 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Just came across this thread.

The marriage was recorded in the parish of Gairloch. Since it just says 'in Ineleoid', not 'Ineleoid in the parish of xyz' you are looking for somewhere in the parish of Gairloch.

So it cannot be Castle Leod or anything near there.

I have looked through the whole of the transcription of the census of Gairloch in 1841 at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl and found nothing remotely resembling Ineleoid. So wherever it was, it must either have been abandoned very early, or it must have changed its name.

Spelling isn't important. You can be Mac, Mc, M', sometimes followed by a space and sometimes not, and the same individual's name can be spelled in different ways depending on who is writing it down. The same applies to place names. It would make life a lot easier if there were a single 'correct' way of spelling names, but there isn't. :(

The names Jessie and Jan(n)et are interchangeable. If you mislay a Janet, look for her as Jessie, and vice versa.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LuciaMD

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 September 17 02:20 BST (UK) »
Just came across this thread. I am researching Donald McKenzie married Mary McClennan. You said that they married in 1831 in Cape Breton. It may have been 1841 if as you stated Mary was born in 1820. Do you have a source for their marriage? Donald and Mary likely had 9 children, only two that I can verify. If this is the same Donald, he likely remained in Cape Bretton and his children left for Massachusetts. Anyone else looking at this family?

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 22 September 17 23:03 BST (UK) »

"Mc" is the abbreviated form of the more correct "Mac", which means "son of", e.g. Angus MacDonald means Angus, son of Donald.

Throughout entries in the Old Parish Records you will find that the writers have had their own preferences.
They were probably quite safe in thinking that their efforts weren't  going to be checked!

I have a near-family member who insists that our family name of MacKenzie should be spelt as McKenzie because the Session Clerk who registered a birth on one occasion used the shortened version of McKenzie! All subsequent births etc., used MacKenzie.

Then there are the writers who spell places as "Ineleod" and give us problems way down the line!!!
You are right there with the spelling of McKenzie my maiden name is McKenzie and once my great grandparents emigrated to New Zealand the MacKenzie was added they were from Helmsdale
I too have relatives newly found by rootschat in Canada from Gairlock and also an Alexander McKenzie ( MacKenzie ) and waiting for more information about my relatives and their families
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Foehn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Kiwicatz, are you an NZeder? Husbands family immigrated to NZ and settled in Masterton. Alexander Mckenzie was his gt gt grandfather and they came from Ross and Cromarty, born 1803. His wife was Mary Gollan. These were their children.    
Donald McKenzie 1834–1927 • Isabella Mckenzie 1837–1915 •Roderick Duncan McKenzie 1839–1914 •Murdoch McKenzie 1842–1907 • Colin Mackenzie 1844–1889 • John Mc Kenzie 1847–1934 • Jessie McKenzie 1850–1864 • Jemima McKenzie 1853–1942 •

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Gollan & Roderick Mackenzie sounds like the parish of Urray, Ross-shire?

Skoosh.

Offline Foehn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 20:58 GMT (UK) »
This was from Scotland's people
 GOLLAN MARY
RODERICK GOLLAN/ISABEL YOUNG
26/07/1811
068/
10 252
Killearnan

She married  Alexander, according to our records,
Marriage: 10 January 1834
Urray, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland

Offline McRobin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessie,

We match on my maternal side, which has roots through Stobo Scotland as well as Highlands and Nova Scotia going back to the 1700s and early 1800s.

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessie,

We match on my maternal side, which has roots through Stobo Scotland as well as Highlands and Nova Scotia going back to the 1700s and early 1800s.

Hi Robin,

If you'd like we could exchange family trees or info in email or pm here :) 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Folk whose ancestors came from places which suffered the Clearances & the Herring Boom, like Gairloch & Helmsdale, might be interested in reading Neil Gunn's "The Silver Darlings!" A great novel which captures the life of the people then!

Skoosh.