Author Topic: Alexander McKenzie b 1798 North Erradale, Gairloch, Ross and Cromarty.  (Read 21583 times)

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McKenzie b 1798 North Erradale, Gairloch, Ross and Cromarty.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 November 15 17:14 GMT (UK) »
kiwicatz, Do you by chance happen to have your DNA tested to match for genetic cousins? 

My 3x Great Grandfather has the following family:

Alexander 'Sandy' McKenzie b. 4 Dec 1817 (could be variance in years as suggested on census records) and d. 25 Jan 1912 in Dominion #4, Glace Bay, NS.

He married Isabel Elizabeth Annabel "Bella" McGregor about 1838 either in Scotland or Nova Scotia.  There is a chance that she is a second wife and was even born in Nova Scotia. B. about 1826 (varies on census records up to 1833 which is why I think she could be a second wife) and d. 1 Oct 1911 in Dominion #3, Glace Bay, Nova Scotia.

Alexander's children are as follows:

Catherine (1838-1887)
Annabell (1845-1929)
Colin (1846-?)
Malcolm (1853-1918)
Annie (1855-?)
Murdock "Murdo" (1860-1902)
Jessie Isabel (1864-1942) - my 2x Great Gran and name sake :)
William (1866-1877)

I can't get any further back, but there is also a Donald/Duncan and family that lived in Baddeck.  Donald/Duncan's parents were Colin McKenzie and Mary McLenan.  Not sure if this is any connection to my Alexander but I found it interesting.  There was also a William living in Middle River that also immigrated in 1838 like my Alexander and they all have the same/similar family names.

Where it gets interesting is that all my top cousin matches so far have been 4th cousins via McKenzie in New Zealand and Australia!  That was a surprise.  Two families that have been tracked to were the Weaver McKenzies and the Smuggler McKenzies. 

My thing is that my Nannie (great grandaughter to my Alexander) had mentioned that our McKenzies were Weaver McKenzies.  This came about while talking with her and my aunt when during the week before my step grandfather passed away.  It came about after her mentioning about the Cooper McNeils and I had a crash course about Clan nicknames.

All my top matches also have Weaver McKenzies.

My Alexander is listed on his death registration as being born in Gairloch. 

If you have done your DNA my gedmatch kit # is M260700.  I would love to get in touch with you or anyone else that shares DNA with these particular groups of McKenzies or others that may match up.

Jessie Ross

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes I did get my psternal DNA done, pretty disappointing as even the supposed 'good' matches have  been untraceable. My Alexander definitely only married once, to Ann Fraser 25 July 1825, she was living at McLennan's Mountain at the time. They were went to NZ with their family in Dec 1856, arriving in Auckland May 1857. His father, Duncan McKenzie was a Weaver, and his mother was Jannet Jessie McDonald, who was a Farmer.
Think they are different families, unfortunately.
Regards
Jan
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 February 17 19:23 GMT (UK) »
In further research, it has been found that my Alexander McKenzie born about 1817/1822 was the son of Murdoch 'Weaver' McKenzie and Annabella/Arabella McKenzie.  Autosomal results of the descendants have proven a relationship of the degree needed to be the same couple.

Our Y chromosome has just came back tested by a male from my Alexander's line.  I still have another 4 kits of descendants of my Alexander I am waiting to come back for more autosomal results.

I am curious if your male Y chromosome is on the Mc/MacKenzie project on FTDNA?  If so, what is the number I can search it on the list by?  Our Y number on that list is 635065.

I have autosomal (as well as other descendants of the Weaver McKenzies) that show autosomal matches to descendants of your Duncan Ban McKenzie.  I am curious if your Duncan and my Murdoch's supposed father William Weaver McKenzie were brothers or possibly depending on the location of Erradale where my Alexander was baptized in 1822. 

Offline S_Mac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 March 17 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hey Jess,
I share Y-DNA with you. My FTDNA kit number is 497485. We have a distance of 2 at 67 markers.
Please email me: scot_macka@hotmail.com

Offline MJHS1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 March 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've just stumbled across this thread, as I have been researching MacGregors and MacKenzies around Gairloch. If you haven't seen them, you may find: http://www.kinlochewe.com/documents/Forpublication-SettlementsofWesterRoss-Copy.pdf and http://www.kinlochewe.com/documents/GairlochandCanadianMaritimes-Copy.pdf of interest.
Regards
Mike

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 16 April 17 12:49 BST (UK) »
Mike,

Are you the guy I emailed about McKenzies and McGregors a while back?  I think there was an adoption or something involved?  We match in DNA?

Jessie

Offline MJHS1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 16 April 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessie,

No, I don't think that it was me.

Regards

Mike

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 16 April 17 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

That's interesting!  My McGregors were from Perthshire, but my McKenzies were from Gairloch area.  Have you tested your autosomal DNA by any chance?  I'm always in the market to find more matches to try and make sense of them all!

Jessie

Offline bevbrettt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 09 July 17 18:58 BST (UK) »
Reading the handwriting it is Leoid    with the i it is gaelic  ie. mac Leoid  differnt grammatical rules for spelling. very late to jump in - doing research on Cape bretoners in NZ