Author Topic: Carter from Earlston  (Read 3220 times)

Offline BabaSam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carter from Earlston
« on: Monday 23 June 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Thomas and Agnes Ewing Carter, whose family emigrated to New York in 1831. They were weavers, their son Robert was a teacher, became a publisher in New York. I don't have dates for Thomas and Agnes or any information on prior generations.  I have digitised a self-published family history from the New York family which takes them back to Earlston, and can offer a copy to anyone interested. I live in London and plan to visit Earlston in early August. I am descended from Thomas and Agnes' daughter Mary.

Offline jdmg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Carter from Earlston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 December 16 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I have information of two sons of a Nicol Carter of Earlston. Both were born in Earlston, Nicol in 1798 and Andrew in 1800. Both were in business in Edinburgh and died there. I would be interested if they link to your family.

Offline BabaSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Carter from Earlston
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 December 16 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Nichol and Andrew do not show in my records.  I spent time in the family history centre in Galashiels and they could confirm information I had but didn't have more.  So I only have the parents, Thomas Carter and Agnes Nancy Ewing (from Sprouston) and their children: Thomas (b1804), Robert (1806), Agnes (1809), Margaret (1811), Janet (1814), John (1816), Mary (1818, my ancestor), James (abt 1821), Peter, Isabella, Walter (1823).