Author Topic: Stuck on an ancestor - Help please!  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Conor Oldroyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • <3
    • View Profile
Stuck on an ancestor - Help please!
« on: Monday 23 June 14 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all! First post on here as I am stuck on one of my ancestors and I don't quite fancy buying any birth/marriage certificates at the moment! I've managed to trace all of my lines back to pre 1853, except for one. My Great Grandad Albert Murray's family.

My Great Grandad Albert Murray was born in 1914 in West Ham. I know that his Father's name was John James Murray (Born abt 1891) and his mother was Sarah Kathaleen Cahill (Born 1893). I have managed to trace the Cahills back to 1811, but i've had no luck whatsoever with the Murrays. The information on the Select-Marriages on Ancestry tell me that John James Murray's father's name was supposedly Charles Edward Murray, but I have no other information except for that. Albert served in the navy so it's possible that John James Murray was also a military man, but besides that it's all guess work at the moment. Any hints?

Cheers!

Conor Oldroyd

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on an ancestor - Help please!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 June 14 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat.
Do you know whether John James and Charles Edward were also from West Ham?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Conor Oldroyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 June 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat.
Do you know whether John James and Charles Edward were also from West Ham?

No idea! Albert died in 1949 when my Nan was 8, and he was fighting the war for 6 years of that so she barely knew about her family at all. They could be from anywhere.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 June 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
John J Murray and Sarah K Cahill married in Q4 1912 in West Ham. Vol 4a Page 7.
In addtion to Albert 1914 it looks as though they had:
- John C E 1913
- Charles J 1919
- William 1921
- Doreen 1925
- Alice K 1928
Some of those names may be useful in trying to figure out the names of ancestors and if you follow some of them down the line you may find other researchers who can tell you more about your Murray ancestors.

Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Conor Oldroyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 June 14 23:17 BST (UK) »
Yes thats correct, I knew his brothers and sisters so that's how i figured out his Mother and Father's name (By checking the marriage index) I guess all I can do at this point would be to order the birth certificate. Such a pain having to wait the 21 days but I guess that's my only option. Cheers for your help.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 June 14 23:21 BST (UK) »
Deleted this as I had posted twice.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 June 14 23:22 BST (UK) »
You donīt need to wait 21 days for a certificate Conor. If you order from www.gro.gov.uk it takes about a week and costs under 10 pounds.

Offline Conor Oldroyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 June 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
Last time i did it there It took 21 days!

Offline Conor Oldroyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 June 14 23:43 BST (UK) »
Ah. That would be because I didn't add the GRO. Just read the terms. Whoops!