Author Topic: Finding information on a grandmother for my great aunt  (Read 2645 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding information on a grandmother for my great aunt
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
I've just found a public tree on Ancestry.

This states that Thomas Forestal bc.1860 England d.1888 Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa and that in 1883 Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa he married Sophia Louisa Tarpey.   (Unfortunately there are no full dates given).

It states that Sophia was born 27/7/1864 but no birthplace given at all.   It shows she married John Abraham Matthews 26/4/1890 Port Elizabeth, Cape, SA and that they had a son John Joseph Matthews b.10/4/1898 Bloemfontein, Free State, SA - there are further details which I'm sure you most have but, in short, he married in Benoni in 1922 and died 1948 in Johannesburg.

I don't know if John Joseph was their only child nor if there were any children from her 5 year marriage to Thomas Forestal.    Could 'Jack Forestal', therefore,  possibly be Sophia's son, rather than her first husband or, if her husband Thomas had been married before, her step-son maybe.

Still cannot find her birth in England with the name Sophia Louisa Tarpey.  Sorry.

Do you have a copy of her 2nd. marriage certificate (to Matthews)?   Hopefully this will include extra details about her, fathers name, etc.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Babitoes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Jack Forestal is a name given by my aunty. Maybe somewhere the names got mixed up and Jack is Thomas's son?

I think John Joseph Matthews was their only son and he married Berglioth Toennessen.

I'll ask my aunty if she has a marriage certificate to john but I don't think the names would be on there as my aunty would have seen that.

Thank you so much Annette, this too has been a great help :-)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
Your Berglioth Toennessen may well have been of Norwegian origin with the spelling Bergliot Tønnesen.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 June 14 07:56 BST (UK) »
At least the surname is mentioned on familysearch.org. There are possible areas of England to look. There's Sarah, there's Louise but not the 2 together. I think they are side of the dates you are looking at. There's places like Aston mentioned and Liverpool. So at least there's some example of the surname in England.

Offline Babitoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 June 14 23:10 BST (UK) »
Craclyn: that might be another one to look into. I'll ask my great aunt if she knows if her mother is Norwegian. I've seen a pic of her and she doesn't look like she is from English decent.

Weste: it's just odd that she isn't named as Sophia Louisa. It makes me think she was adopted or maybe changed her name at some point.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 June 14 16:05 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to get you started if you decide to follow up Bergliot. I have just done a general search on the name. I have not looked to see if any of the entries are in the right timeframe for your Bergliot.

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/sok/person_avansert?fra=&til=&fornavn=bergliot&etternavn=t%C3%B8nnesen&kjonn=&fodselsaar=&fodselsdato=&fodested=&bosted=&jobb=&hendelsesdato=&connection=overid&b1_fornavn=&b1_etternavn=&b1_kjonn=&b1_fodselsaar=&b1_fodselsdato=&b1_fodested=&b1_bosted=&b1_jobb=&b2_fornavn=&b2_etternavn=&b2_kjonn=&b2_fodselsaar=&b2_fodselsdato=&b2_fodested=&b2_bosted=&b2_jobb=

The website has English navigation but information in the records is in Norwegian so let me know if you need help to understand any of it.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 June 14 18:31 BST (UK) »
Babitoes, do you know which church/denomination they are likely to have belonged to? There are some images of church records at https://familysearch.org/search but they are not name indexed so might be a long slog.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Babitoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 June 14 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Craclyn and Jorose, I am waiting for my aunty to get back to me with more information but being a young lady of 85 I think she has forgotten me :-)