Author Topic: Annuants?  (Read 7536 times)

Offline Wattsy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Annuants?
« on: Monday 27 June 05 00:16 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone out where can help me answer a question?

I have several family member from different lines quoting themselves in 1841 and 1851 census as "annuitants".  I understand that this means they were financially independent; receiving money but from what source?
Were pensions from occupations available at these dates or were life Policies available or ordinary people?
If work related pensions were available what type of occupations would be likely to have them?

Anybody any ideas please

Thanks in advance.

Wattsy

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annuants?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 June 05 09:03 BST (UK) »
Most of the folks in my families (those not in the poor house) seemed to have annuities from private investments - mainly with banks and/or rent from property. If you can find a will for these folks, it usually details all their holdings.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 June 05 10:28 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that the source of the capital was (originally at least) land, possibly diluted over several generations by passing through younger children of younger children. However, there may be an element of nouveau riche involved by that period. Depends whereabouts your ancestors were.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Wattsy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 June 05 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish and Nick for your replies.
My folks are in Cheshire - Rainow to be exact.  My problem lies with one Martha Potts who in 1841 census describes herself as annuitant.  She, as far as I can work out had one child, Isaac, in Rainow in 1813.  From the Parish records there is no name for the father (although there is a column for that purpose).  So I assumed the child was illegitimate until I managed to find his marriage certificate (1840) in which he names his father as James Potts, Cordwainer.  I have been unsuccessful in finding any trace of a marriage between a James Potts and a Martha. I have also checked Trade Directories with no success

She is in 1841 living with her son and his wife in Mellor, Cheshire. On the census she puts her place of birth as Rainow.  I was just puzzled how she could become financially independent with no husband.

Any bright ideas?
Thanks
Wattsy

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 June 05 12:28 BST (UK) »
The annuity may have been left to her by another relative.  I have a large number of wills which leave a sum of money per year which is paid out of the profits/income from property.  Sometimes the annuity is left to another relative (bachelor uncles are a good source) or to a SERVANT who has been in service for a number of years.  Obviously this annuity paid out - sometimes if a will takes a long time to sort out, the beneficiary may go without for a while.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wattsy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 June 05 13:32 BST (UK) »
The annuity may have been left to her by another relative.  I have a large number of wills which leave a sum of money per year which is paid out of the profits/income from property.  Sometimes the annuity is left to another relative (bachelor uncles are a good source) or to a SERVANT who has been in service for a number of years.  Obviously this annuity paid out - sometimes if a will takes a long time to sort out, the beneficiary may go without for a while.

Nell

Thanks Nell for the additional information.  I have just realised how stupid I have been in not ordering her death certificate, although I know the date of her death from the Church records as August 1862.  It may at least provide me with details of her married (or not) status.
My problem has also been that I have been unable to find details of her birth as "Martha Potts", in Rainow.  I always have thought it strange that she appears to have had only one child.
Anyway I will order the death certificate and see if it throws any more light on the situation.
Once again thanks for your help.
Wattsy

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 June 05 15:23 BST (UK) »
Wattsy - it seems that if she did marry a Potts then there would never be a birth record for her as Potts  8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wattsy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 June 05 15:34 BST (UK) »
Wattsy - it seems that if she did marry a Potts then there would never be a birth record for her as Potts  8)

Yes I agree, the problem is knowing how truthful ancestors were when they gave information to both census records and or marriage records.  My problem is that in 1841 census where it asks for status,  it has been left blank (by forgetfulness or design?) and in 1861 it states married.  I have been unable to find the whole family in the 1851 census.
Hence my confusion.

Wattsy

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 June 05 16:31 BST (UK) »
There is an extracted record on the IGI for James Pott born 1780 in Rainow. There are no marriage records at all for that parish on the IGI. Using that batch, there are only 12 ladies called Martha born 1775 - 1795, which is probably not very useful, but one of these may be your Martha.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk