Author Topic: James P. McManigal Family  (Read 7144 times)

2ndpurple

James P. McManigal Family
« on: Monday 27 June 05 02:27 BST (UK) »
Information would be appreciated for the James P. McManigal family.  I have a lot of info on the family in the USA.  I need information about the time spent in Ireland.

James P. McManigal, born about 1782 or 1798 (I've seen both dates.)  His parents were John & Mary McManigal.

He married Lavina Wilds in 1824 in Scioto County, Ohio, USA.
It is unknown when he immigrated to the United States.
Lovina was born on September 9, 1807.  I've seen 3 birth places--Big Kanawa, West Virginia, USA; Virginia, USA; Scotland.

Children:
Catherine b. about 1825 in Virginia, USA
Mary Ellen b. about 1826 in Virginia, USA
James W. b. about 1828 in Virginia, USA
Minnie Clarinda b. about 1829 in Ohio, USA
Lavina b. about 1831 in Ohio, USA
Archibold b. January 16, 1832 in Scioto County, Ohio, USA
Daniel b. November 14, 1832 in Scioto County, Ohio, USA
Flora Ann b. about 1836 in Ohio, USA
Ruth b. about 1838 in Ohio, USA
Lara or Sara, b. about 1845
Thomas M. b. February 22, 1847 in Ohio, USA
Clarissa Alice, b. about 1848 in Ohio, USA
Dirantha, b. about 1852 in Ohio, USA
Henry, b. about 1859 in Ohio, USA

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James P. McManigal Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 05 21:54 BST (UK) »
No one at all with that surname showing on BIVRI - sorry :(

saz
antrim, donegore, ballycraigy, doagh, ballysavage,  carnmoney, ballyhenry, belfast, mallusk, hydepark names - twigg, gault, robinson, stevenson, todd, kirkpatrick, porter, mayne, topping, McDowell, douglas

2ndpurple

« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 July 05 02:03 BST (UK) »
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the BIVRI?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 July 05 12:02 BST (UK) »
British Isles Vital Records Index.

I've had a look around for your McManigal name too but cannot find it so far showing in Ireland.  Other close possibilities are McMonigle, McMonagle, Monagle and Monigle. Of these, McMonigle seems to have had the highest use and was mainly in the County of Donegal.

Other variations of the name being MacMaongail and MacMonagle.

Hope this is of help...perhaps saz might be able to run some of these variations through BIVRI discs for you.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 July 05 22:52 BST (UK) »
I have tried all variations of spelling but this is all BIVRI has come up with

MCMONIGLE, Michael   Bir   1868   Irel   Done
Fa:   James MCMONIGLE
Mo:   Ellenor SWINEY

MCMONIGLE, James   Bir   1870   Irel   Done
Fa:   James MCMONIGLE
Mo:   Ellenor SWINEY

Nowhere near dates you are looking for  - sorry :(

saz
antrim, donegore, ballycraigy, doagh, ballysavage,  carnmoney, ballyhenry, belfast, mallusk, hydepark names - twigg, gault, robinson, stevenson, todd, kirkpatrick, porter, mayne, topping, McDowell, douglas

Offline bmcmanigal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 July 05 03:42 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if you are one of our group of researchers.

My lineage:

JP > JW > AJ > HC > JK> BL (Me)

If you are, Hello!  If not, I may have info that I can share. 

I am still working on John McManigal/McMunigle/McMonigal, have found some Revolutionary War records in PA regarding William, Neal and John.  Looks like some possibilities in NY as well.

Hope to hear from you soon!

2ndpurple

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 13:13 BST (UK) »
I am not a researcher.

I have the line traced to James P. McManigal and Lovina Wild/Wilds.  I've heard that Lovina's parents were Jacob Wild/Wilds and Diana Stout Wild/Wilds.  I read it someplace on the internet, but I haven't confirmed it.

I would love to correspond and share information!

Offline bmcmanigal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 21:39 BST (UK) »
I'm not a professional researcher, I just consider any genealogist a researcher.  A group of us have come together through various message boards while searching for info on James and Lavinia. We have pulled together quite a bit of information, tracing both the McManigal (McManighel is original spelling for our branch), Wild, Belcher, Green and Carter lines.  The McManigal's came to NE in 1856, Blair, Washington Co., and the majority of us are located in this region. 

I took a trip back to our roots in Scioto Co., Ohio, and visited Lavinia's grave, as well as Thomas M. (McManigehl, Thomas M. son P& L, b. Feb 22, 1847, d. May 26, 1864) who died of pneumonia during his service in the Civil War. It was an awesome experience, and full of information.  I don't know if you have been to the Scioto Co. website, but it is an wonderful online resource, as well as Lawrence Co.:

http://www.scioto.org/Scioto/index.html

http://www.scioto.org/Lawrence/

Some data on James and Lavinia:

Buckeye Cemetery, Green Township, Scioto County, OH
Buckeye Cemetery is located on Ohio Furnace Rd., about one mile east of U.S. Rt. 52, Green Township, Scioto County, Ohio. These inscriptions were copied October 31, 1980 by Duane F. and Caryn R. Shoemaker, CGRS. The cemetery dates from 1852 and is in good condition.

McMANIGAL, Leveny:  b. Big Kanawa W.V.  Sep 27, 1808 d. Jan 25, 1887.  Erected by her son Daniel of Nebraska.

James P. McManigal was born c. 1798 in Jacksonville, Centre County, PA. He died 15 Jun 1860 in Lower Surrounded Hill, Arkansas. We think he was buried somewhere in Prairie or Monroe County, Arkansas.  He is not buried in Ohio.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~arprairi/Newspapers/dacitizen.htm

DES ARC WEEKLY CITIZEN, ARKANSAS

MURDER- We learn that on Saturday evening last, James P. McMangehel was killed by David Johns, on Lower Surrounded Hill, Monroe County. Johns shot the deceased twice with a double barreled shot gun, after which he made his escape. An inquest was held over the body, who returned a verdict of willful murder. McMangehel was near 78 years of age, and had given the murderer no offence. Johns is a notorious character, and this is said to be the third man he has killed. According to the pension file, James P. went to Arkansas where his wife Lavinia's brother, Edward was, probably to homestead, and was murdered. Story has it that he was an arbitrator in a disagreement, Johns losing, shot James P.

(Copied from the DES ARC CITIZEN newspaper, dated Saturday, June 23, 1860)

James headed to Arkansas following his brother-in-law Edward Wild, it is possible that he planned to move the family there once they became settled.

I'm at work and don't have a lot of info with me.  I will try to take a look at it tonight and update you tomorrow.

Beth

2ndpurple

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 23:01 BST (UK) »
I LIVE in Scioto County, Ohio!

I, too, have visited Lovina's grave.  I found the info about James' murder a few months ago.

While checking census records, two of James' children listed his birthplace as "at sea."  I've also his birthplace as PA, and VA.

In a narrative written by James & Lovina's son, Daniel, he stated that Lovina was born in Ireland.  Apparently, she sang Irish ballads on her deathbed.  I've also seen her birthplace as WV and VA.

I'm in the process of typing in all of my info into the Family History section of Ancestry.com.  When all info has been added, you can name up to 10 persons to place on the email list to access the info.  As soon as I am finished, I'll add you to my list if you wish.  Send me your email address if you are interested.

I am a teacher, so I have lots of time to work on it right now!  When school starts, I usually put it on the sidelines until the next summer.

Looking forward to sharing info.