Author Topic: Dalzells of Carrickfergus  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Paulette Kattula

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Dalzells of Carrickfergus
« on: Friday 27 June 14 06:58 BST (UK) »
The Dalzells of Carrickfergus are related the US President Andrew Jackson.  There was a posting on this site in 2011 that sounds like they would a relative. My connection is through Latitia Dalzell born August 15, 1795.  Her brother was Alexander Dalzell, who is buried at Comber Graveyard and died August 1847, age 59.  She also had a brother named Thomas.  Latitia's ancestors were reportedly "caretakers" of the castle in Carrickfergus.  She married Thomas McCutcheon Chambers (from Utenards, or Newtownards) born 1795.  They arrived in the US in 1817 and were given 500 acres of land in Tennessee from her cousin, Andrew Jackson.  After moving to the states of Indiana, Kentucky and Missouri, they eventually travelled to the Oregon Territory joining 0ne of the earliest wagon trains in 1845.  They settled in what is now Washington State in what became the first incorporated town-Steilacoom.  I have copies of letters sent between Andrew and Rachel Jackson to Latitia.  Mr. Chambers became a very famous judge.  I am related to their daughter Mary Jane, who died in Tacoma, Washington, 1918.  Many locations in the area are named for the Chambers.                 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Dalzells of Carrickfergus
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 June 14 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A Warm Welcome to RootsChat

Here is the link to a Dalzells in Ireland post from 2011 which maybe the one you referred to.  If you make another 2 postings, you would be able to contact Jasonwills by personal message.  Hope this helps.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=528624.0

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Marilyn_Warburt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dalzells of Carrickfergus
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi..I am the grt x 3 granddaughter of Latitia Dalzell Chambers brother Thompson who came to
NZ . He had brothers Alexander,Thomas and John and several sisters including Latita. Thompson  and Latitia and Thomas all used to communicate by letter. I would love to know if she mentioned anything of Irealand in her letters .Latitia named one of her sons after Thompson.