Author Topic: Yatala Prison South Australia/ Trying to find out who my father was.  (Read 8736 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Yatala Prison South Australia/ Trying to find out who my father was.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 30 June 14 02:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Re Aboriginal Heritage....  there's many an urban myth that suggests that a person has an Aboriginal Heritage.   In earlier decades this was something that was only ever 'whispered' about, in a shameful way, thus it can be difficult to confirm or eliminate.   However, may I suggest that sometimes an urban myth is without any basis, and easily explained away.     "Native born" is an expression found on many digitised records, right around the globe.   In respect to Australian official records, it has NOT ever been giving any indication of a person's ethnicity at all.   If it is found on the WWI digitised records for an ancestor who served in the Australian Defence Forces  then it is simply stating that  THAT the person was born in Australia, and the record then usually gives a place, and the state.     Ruskie's suggestion re DNA seems the logical way to start to sort out that aspect of your oral history.   You need to establish who first told you this piece of information, and then determine how accurate this information would be.

Cheers,  JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 30 June 14 03:07 BST (UK) »
Something I meant to mention earlier but forgot ... even if your mother was raped by this man, it does not necessarily follow that he is your father.  :-\

Apart from DNA testing you would probably never know ...

munchkinjj, do you know if your mother had aboriginal heritage on her side of the family?

Offline munchkinjj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
l
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 18 January 15 11:57 GMT (UK) »
l

Offline munchkinjj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline munchkinjj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 18 January 15 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was born in January 1945 and mygo about this please. This has been a mystery for me for almost 70 years.

Thank you so much!
Kind Regards
Munchkinjj

Offline munchkinjj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 18 January 15 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I,
how do I delete this topic?

Thank you so much!
Kind Regards
Munchkinjj

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 18 January 15 14:01 GMT (UK) »
You can't delete a thread I'm afraid. You can lock a topic - this means that no one can add any replies to it, or you can add the word "completed" to the topic heading.

May I ask if you have found the answers to your questions? If so, and you are willing to share the information, I'm sure everyone who contributed to this thread would be interested to know the outcome.  :)

Offline munchkinjj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Completed
« Reply #34 on: Monday 19 January 15 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Re Aboriginal Heritage....  there's many an urban myth that suggests that a person has an Aboriginal Heritage.   In earlier decades this was something that was only ever 'whispered' about, in a shameful way, thus it can be difficult to confirm or eliminate.   However, may I suggest that sometimes an urban myth is without any basis, and easily explained away.     "Native born" is an expression found on many digitised records, right around the globe.   In respect to Australian official records, it has NOT ever been giving any indication of a person's ethnicity at all.   If it is found on the WWI digitised records for an ancestor who served in the Australian Defence Forces  then it is simply stating that  THAT the person was born in Australia, and the record then usually gives a place, and the state.     Ruskie's suggestion re DNA seems the logical way to start to sort out that aspect of your oral history.   You need to establish who first told you this piece of information, and then determine how accurate this information would be.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 19 January 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I see you are quoting me, (my 30 June 2014 post on this thread).

Is there something you want to ask me, or if I have caused offence with that post, then please accept my sincere apologies;  it was written in good faith and with the best intentions to help. 

If it is offensive, you can simply use the Report to Moderator button in this post and I am sure our Moderator will take it from there.     I cannot modify that 30 June post, as there's only the first 24 hours allowed by RChat for the poster to edit/modify a post.  Only a moderator can help with a post that is more than 24 hours old.

If there's questions though, I will try to help further.   So, if you want the thread completed,  you use that report to moderator button and just type in COMPLETED. A moderator moves it to the completed board section.   If you want the thread deleted, you can use that same report to moderator button, and ask for their assistance.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.