Author Topic: John FRAZER Cumbrae 1847 - 1881  (Read 8613 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John FRAZER Cumbrae 1847 - 1881
« on: Monday 27 June 05 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Listers
I have a John FRAZER who married a Jane LATTA in Nov 1847 Cumbrae, Bute.
No Record of issue on IGI.

On Census 1851, I may have found them as Domestic Servants to  House of DRUMMOND: John FRAZER  age 31 born Stevenston Ayr, Janet FRAZER age 34 born Kilbride, Ayr and a son (probably, but he is listed as a Visitor to the house) James D FRAZER age 2 born Bute. They are not enumerated as being a married couple, just both Domestics in the same house.

On Census 1881, I may have found the same John FRAZER - age now 61 at 8 Barend St Cumbray, a Portioner - age & birthplace match the man in C1851.  But his wife is (now) named Jane and she is 13 years younger, age 51 born on Bute, and with a 14 yr old son named William.  I believe this wife is Jane SHARP, and they married in 1864 with William coming along 1866 (a Robert born 1868 on IGI is not found in C81). John would have been age 50 at marriage to Jane SHARP, so it is very possible she is a 2nd wife.

The James D FRAZER age 2 in C51 is not found C81 Scotland but maybe he is the Scots born James Drummond FRAZER in Ispwich, Suffolk, a Dentist.

If the C51 Janet is John's wife, and the John in C81 is same man, then I'm imagining the C51 Janet died sometime between 1851 and 1864, probably on Bute.  It is her, ultimately whom I am interested in - was she nee LATTA?

Does anyone have any info at all? Are there any online Headstone Transcriptions for Bute for example?

Thanks  ;D
Anne
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: John FRAZER Cumbrae 1847 - 1881
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 04:17 BST (UK) »
I found the following information not sure if it helps or hinders:-

Janet Frazer died March 8th 1863 she was married to John Frazer in the parish of Cumbray in Bute. she was aged 54 and died of typhoid fever.

her parents were John Henry ( a farmer) and Grace Henry nee henry.

John Frazer married Jane Sharp on 8 June 1864 ( he is listed as being a widower and was aged 45 he was a gardener by occupation)

His parents were listed as being John Frazer a seaman ( deceased) and Jane Frazer nee Brown. ( deceased)

Jane Sharp was 33 at the time of her marriage, a laundress by occupation and single.

Her parents were listed as being John Sharp weaver (deceased) and Elizabeth Sharp nee Sharp ( deceased)

John Frazer Died aged 88 on May 23rd 1905  widower of Jane Sharp. Gardener and the death was registered by his son Robert.

Jane Frazer nee sharp died December 26th 1896 aged 69 married to John Frazer and her death was registered by her son William.

I could not find any of them in the 1871 census ( but I will keep looking)

I have John living with son Robert in the 1901 and it states that he was born in Saltcoats in Ayrshire. 

On the 1891 Jane and John are living in Millport in Cumbrae with Robert aged 25 a ploughman.

John is listed as a retired Gardener

there is also a granddaughter listed

Marjorie Frazer aged 5

I know you had a lot of the above info... but I hope there was something new in it

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline colliersbairn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 March 08 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Have you looked at the Threetowners webpage?  I've posted the link here.  Stevenston had a minister that religiously carried out an informal census of his flock.  He did one in 1819 another in the 1820's and so on.  It mentions who is residing with whom, how many children and most important to the reverend, the denomination of the person.

http://www.threetowners.com/1819%20Landsborough%20Census/c_-_f.htm

You will find mention of John Frazer sailor and his wife Jean Brown with their children living on Harbor St.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 May 08 12:38 BST (UK) »
Ambly,

I have found this memorial inscription

By John Frazer, 23 May 1905 aged 88, wife Jean W Latta, 23rd August 1848 aged 25, 2nd wife Janet Hendry 9 March 1863 aged 55, 3rd wife Jane Sharp 26 Dec 1896 aged 69.

So three wives  :)

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 May 08 13:33 BST (UK) »
Goodness Gracious!   Have I been on RC this long - I'd forgotten all about this post, and I swear - this  (Nell's) is the first notification I recall getting from it  ???  ???

Mo - a very much belated "thankyou" for that information - works so well with Nell's MI!  I have to dust off my  LATTA's and get a handle on this particular one again.  Ultimately, I'm trying to match her up to parents......

colliersbairn  -
a late thankyou,  also. I am familiar with that site but often  forget about it -  and I didn't spot that FRAZER/BROWN reference!

Nell - thanks so much for that!  Either you have a memory like a steel trap or you're super organised.  Or both  :D  Was that from Cumbrae cemetery? Sad to see  Jean W LATTA didn't live long after their marriage but that explains why I find no issue.  John sure worked his spousley way through the name variations for "Jean"  ;D  ;D

Again, thanks to you all

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 May 08 21:05 BST (UK) »
Was that from Cumbrae cemetery?

Yes, from the old kirkyard.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk