Author Topic: Meredith  (Read 2227 times)

Offline lighthouse1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meredith
« on: Thursday 03 July 14 06:04 BST (UK) »
I am looking for assistance in finding details of where and when James Thomas below was born.
Also any details available on the parents birth marriage death and burial details
Father .....William Meredith
Mother ....Sarah Harris
Son .....James Thomas Meredith B about 1833 Windsor or London England D 1904 Queensland Australia
Larter, Stirling, Zingelmann, Redford, Rafter, Mieland, McGregor, Osborne, Fitzpatrick, Peper, Mieland, Hardrath, Jenkins and Martin
Meredith, Sheehy, Torrance, Mills, Kelly, Howden, Chesterfield, Reynolds and Pickup

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Meredith
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 July 14 06:18 BST (UK) »
Do you know when he went to Australia, and if his parents went with him?
Do you have the family in any English census?
Who was the informant on his death certificate?
Also, what are the occupations of James and William?
(I am attempting to locate the family on a census or two to see ages, children etc and from that try to find the marriage of William and Sarah - I haven't been able to find them on Freebmd as yet)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 July 14 06:35 BST (UK) »
I've checked for James in the 1841 and 1851 censuses but can't see one that matches well with the information you have given, though there are other possibilities.

Meredith seems to be a surname centered around Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Shropshire, with not many living elsewhere.

Presumably the information you have given about parents, place of birth and age, is from his d/c? If so I am wondering if some of the information is incorrect. Did James marry in Australia and if so, do you have his marriage certificate? (in fact do you have it even if he married in the UK?)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 July 14 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Lighthouse,

Thank you for the PM. I will copy and paste it here so anyone who may be able to help will know the answers to some of the questions I asked you:

I am not sure when he came to Australia but he got married here in 1869.
I do not have the family in census
His son
They were butchers

It might be worthwhile you buying James' marriage certificate to double check his parent's names and his place of birth.

On his death certificate how long did it say he had been in Queensland (or Australia)? This will hopefully narrow down a timeframe to look for his arrival.

I will recheck the census now that I know that they were butchers. There were not many Merediths in the vicinity of London.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 July 14 12:43 BST (UK) »
I can see some James Merediths arriving in Qld but all are after 1869. I don't think online indexes are complete and he may have arrived in another State.

Offline Jmeredith82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 13:39 BST (UK) »
could someone please tell me if anyone knows of any merediths in southampton and when the merediths actually settled in wales/shropshire area??

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 14:40 BST (UK) »
could someone please tell me if anyone knows of any merediths in southampton and when the merediths actually settled in wales/shropshire area??
Hi JMeredith82 and welcome to Rootschat
www.familysearch.org
surname Meredith
1600 - 1700
any event
southampton
england
hampshire
search
earliest result is 1737 - but I have only looked at the first page - take a look yourself - 43 results - earliest is in Romsey ,Hampshire - a christening in 1630 ....12 years before the English Civil War which started in 1642...
shropshire
1500 - 1700  - earliest is 1566 on page 1
like I say - have a look yourself and enjoy browsing through them all
 ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Jmeredith82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 14:49 BST (UK) »
sorry to be a pest but i also saw some romany roots linked to the name meredith wondered when they settled in the uk and where the nme derives from?? very ken to know

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 15:37 BST (UK) »
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford