Author Topic: Old newspapers?  (Read 6760 times)

Offline FLUFFY1234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old newspapers?
« on: Thursday 03 July 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
 ???This is the first time I have used this site, so if I have done this wrong then I am sorry..... I am trying to get a copy of a newspaper online from 1949 as my grandfather was tragically killed in a house fire (so I am told) his house was in DRUMDERG (hope I have spelled  it correctly)...could  body help please...... Many thanks.
Heuston,Wright, Murtagh, Moore, Bennett.Co.Longford.Byrne Co.Wexford.Devine Dublin.Hamilton, Cue,Good. Co. Cork

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old newspapers?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 July 14 00:06 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline FLUFFY1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 July 14 05:55 BST (UK) »
Yes Drumderg ( not far from Ballinalee)he was blacksmith as a blacksmith so I was believe.
Heuston,Wright, Murtagh, Moore, Bennett.Co.Longford.Byrne Co.Wexford.Devine Dublin.Hamilton, Cue,Good. Co. Cork

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 July 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
HI, there is a Newspaper Archive Site
http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/ that for a fee allows you to search through selected Irish national and Local newspapers. Indeed I believe the Longford Leader may be one of the local papers covered. as well as the Irish Independent, Irish Press and Irish Times, the main national publications.

Some Libraries, for example The Dublin City Library in Pearse Street, Dublin, have a computer dedicated to the service which visitors of the library can use for free, in the library building.  The Papers are searchible by Persons name or Place name, and of course within date ranges. If you check with your own nearest Central Library they may have also provided similar access.

If you can provide a name and an approximate date I can check on my next visit to Pearse Street whether I can find anything , and let you know whether it is worth your while subscribing to the service yourself. 

Offline FLUFFY1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 July 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
James Heuston died May 1949. Heuston could be spelled many differant ways. It has been very difficult to find details of him even on the census.... Many thanks

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 July 14 22:24 BST (UK) »
James Houston age 22 in 1901
age 28 in 1911 shoeing smith

Offline FLUFFY1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 July 14 22:37 BST (UK) »
No age was about 76  when he died

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 July 14 23:30 BST (UK) »
If you look up the irishgenealogy.ie site which now has the civil deaths register you will find James heuston died aged 75 in longford in 1949.

Offline FLUFFY1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 July 14 05:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for informing me out that genealogy site,I will take a look and hopefully find other members of his family..... But it is newspaper articles a was hoping to find because he died so tragically.... Many thanks