Author Topic: Any help would be most welcome,  (Read 998 times)

Offline Molly Bawn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any help would be most welcome,
« on: Thursday 03 July 14 15:35 BST (UK) »
My grandfather says he was born in Galway city according to 1911 census. I tried to find his B/C on line used Ancestry,IFHF,Familysearch search span of 5 years. He should have been born in 1879/1880 according to his marriage record 1901 in Glasgow Scotland I got the cert on Scotland's people. He was back in Dublin in 1911 he left again sometime before 1920 went back to Scotland left his wife and children behind never to return again until the 50's to be buried. My father thought his father had died because on his marriage cert he states his father Michael O'Connor is deceased
same info on his sisters marriage cert. My dad was Michael his father and grandfather where also Michael surname O'Connor. Grandfather told my dad his schoolmaster put the "O" back in his name while attending school. I tried to find military records for g/grandfather(B.A. artillery) from grandfather marriage record says his father is deceased 1901. We do not know if there where any other children. I sent email to Nationalarchives. UK no result, could not find marriage cert for great grandparents marriage on any site either. Mary Hogan and Michael Connor/O'Connor no matches again spent $$$ on all these sites with no certain results.
I would love to find some further information especially on G/Grandparents so really would appreciate any help offered. I know that my g/grandparents spoke fluent Gaelic.
Thank you. Marie Molan   

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Any help would be most welcome,
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 July 14 16:08 BST (UK) »
     When looking for birth record for your grandfather, did you search under "Connor"  "O Connor"          "Connors" ?    There are a few Michael Connor birth records in Galway for the appropriate timeframe on Family search.

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347   

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 July 14 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome

I can see a Michael O'Connor in 1911 with wife Julia is that him? He is a Boot maker.
Do you have him in 1901 census anywhere? Would he be in Scotland?
What is his occupation on his marriage and what is the occupation of his father on the marriage certificate?

thanks
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Molly Bawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 July 14 21:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the quick response Michael O'Connor was married in Scotland in January 1901 to Julia McAllister she was from Dublin he was a boot maker as stated on 1911 cns. He was 21 when he married Julia she been about 4/5 years older I have the Scottish census for 1901 listing Julia and Michael, their 1st child was born in December 1901 in Scotland I have the cert. His father in-law was also a boot maker they were all from Dublin but seemed to be in Scotland around 1900 I found some other family members on the 1901 census different address. McAllister was Julia's maiden name maybe they had a connection to Scotland. I searched Connor/O'Connor/Conner just could not match the mother as Mary Hogan and father as Michael for all Ireland on IFHF looking for the B/C no luck with a marriage cert for his parents either.
I have been tracing family since 2008 and these are the only people that refuse to be found.
I have also used Find my Past for military records but as usual that site promises more than they deliver.
Still hoping for answers, I do not live in Ireland I have no idea what parish my G/G was baptised in otherwise I would try get in touch with them. I just love Dublinheritage.ie I wish something like that was available for Galway.
Thanks again, I appreciate your help.
Marie   

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 July 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
I gather that Michael's mother is shown as Mary Hogan?
Is there an occupation for his father on his 1901 marriage certificate?

Irishgenealogy.ie has civil births from today. Unfortunately, mother's maiden name does not show on earlier births. There are several however for Galway registration district - rather than the general county.
See here

I hope the link works. It's quite slow.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 July 14 23:26 BST (UK) »
The link works but you have to sign in, tick the box and do the captcha, that will make links tedious.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 July 14 23:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks. It worked on my preview but that may be because I was already using the site and it brought up a list.

Offline Molly Bawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 July 14 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood
I got into the site okay, It does look interesting but unless I have the mothers name it kind of defeats the purpose. Maybe later on they will start to put more information on just like Dublinheritage. G/G Michael O'Connor's father occupation listed on his marriage cert as Private Artillery no idea where he served also showed he was deceased in January 1901. That is why I could not find them on 1901 census in Ireland. I tried to find his mother on the 1911 census in Dublin and Galway I figured her age could be 55/65 no luck it's possible that she was not born in Galway I was watching Clare also births are on line now but no marriages yet.  I figured my best bet was to find the birth cert for G/G and work backwards.
Take care and thank you for your assistance.
Marie