Author Topic: Pither family of Tadley  (Read 2265 times)

Offline khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pither family of Tadley
« on: Friday 04 July 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
It's a long shot but I have some old photos of which 3 I suspect are Edward Stephen Pither (1859 - 1935).

If anyone has Pither family from the Tadley area (and even better photos) please get in touch.

Karl
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline PhillyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pither family of Tadley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 June 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Karl, I am Edward Stephen Pither's great grandson. I am trying to find information about the Pither side  and stumbled upon your message. I would be very interested to hear from you.
   All the best, Phil.

Offline khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 June 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

I'm so glad you have found me. We must be very distantly related. Edward is in my family tree through my grand mothers side. He is my great great grandfather. 

The pictures I have are are of an elderly man in a wheelchair with a young girl who I believe to be my great grandmother Cecilia Pither. The girl has similar facial features to later pictures of Cecilia and the man has a family resemblance so it is a bit of an assumption that this is Edward. Do you have pictures of Edward and/ or know if he was in or used a wheelchair in later life?

A quick check on my ancestry site and i have that Edward and his wife Mary had 11 children. Who do you descend from?

I look forward to finding out any information you have on Edward and family. I'll dig out my research later this week so we can compare notes.

Karl
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline PhillyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 June 15 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Karl,
Looks like we are indeed related, my Grandmother was Mabel Irene Pither, the last child of Edward and Mary, born 1911, died 2002. She always thought that she was one of 7 children, James, Bea, Vi, Wini, Sis (Cecilia) Gwen and herself, so it's a bit of a surprise to find there were 11 children.
 My Grandmother I'm sure mentioned that Edward was maybe a Truancy Officer and that the Pither family were a quite prosperous brewery family in the London area.
 My Grandmother of course knew the fore-mentioned sisters but only met James (Jim, who had gone to America to make his fortune and I believe he did make his million) only the once when he came home in 1929 and he spoilt my Grandmother rotten. They kept in touch until his passing, when, I don't know, as we can't find their correspondence.
Mabel went on to marry Emlyn Morris and they had 3 children, Shirley, Brian and my mother Sandra.
 I will private message you more Karl when I figure out how to work this site out properly, hahaha.
           Take care, Phil.

Offline khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 June 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

I've figured out how to compress the photos so I can add them here. Do you recognise the people in them. Like I said before I was making an assumption that it is Cecilia and Edward. What do you think?
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 15 21:28 BST (UK) »