Author Topic: Blainsie Melrose Roxburghshire  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blainsie Melrose Roxburghshire
« on: Friday 04 July 14 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Can anyone tell me if Blainsie is a small village or a farm near Melrose.   Some of my Deans relatives were born there, and I just can't find out anything about the place.
                        regards Catherine

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blainsie Melrose Roxburghshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 July 14 19:41 BST (UK) »
There is a Blainslie about 9 miles from Melrose. Could they have missed a letter in transcriptions?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 July 14 09:44 BST (UK) »
Blainslie is a small hamlet nearer Earlston than Melrose off the A68.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 July 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi.
    Thank you Craclyn & Alan for your replies  That's helped me a lot.
                        Catherine

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 July 14 21:37 BST (UK) »
Did you find a Blainsie or have you decided that it was Blainslie?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 July 14 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Can anyone tell me if Blainsie is a small village or a farm near Melrose.   Some of my Deans relatives were born there, and I just can't find out anything about the place.
                        regards Catherine

A Colonel W.H. Oliver wrote a "History of Blainslie" in about 1981. He was a local resident. I've borrowed the book in the past from the Central Public Library in Edinburgh, and the Borders Family History Society have at least one copy in their archive. Blainslie, historically, was part of the parish of Melrose but it's closer to Galashiels as the crow flies and I think the postal address is Blainslie, Galashiels.

Harr

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Harr,
           Thank you for your e/mail. Next time I am at Hawick hub I'll take a look at the book on Blainslie.   My grt.grt. grandmother was born Melrose as shown on the census. I found her sister in 1841 census and it only says she was born Scotland. but after that it shows Melrose until 1871 when it states Blainslie . That's what has got me interested in Blainslie, as I suppose my grt.grt. grandmother would be born there too. I seem unable to find anything on their father Alexander Deans, only that he was a farm worker. Their mother Agnes Deans nee Waddel is shown 1841 born Scotland and living with her daughter n Midlothian. By 1851 she has disappeared. I have tried Births & deaths on Scotlands people but no luck.
 regards Catherine

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 July 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
Blainslie is a small hamlet/village in the Parish of Melrose, - most records will come under Melrose ie census, OPR, etc

Melrose was and still is a very large Parish.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 July 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
In the 1831 melrose census record from maxwell ancestry under blainslie  a Mr A Dean is shown as a agriculture family of 1 male and 3 females living in a house there and the male was over 20yrs old.  This means he had two daughters.
The details were taken fron local records as the first census was 1841 and no details are given of names of the wife or family. There are about 30 entries for blainslie.
Hope this helps. I don't see his death at melrose so I would try earlston or Lauder.
Alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders