Author Topic: Looking for Guerin info: Dennis and Catherine, Martin and Johannna  (Read 543 times)

Offline bonnieg

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Guerin info: Dennis and Catherine, Martin and Johannna
« on: Saturday 05 July 14 05:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, my great-great grandparents, Martin Guerin and Johanna (nee Meade) immigrated from Ireland (Tipperary, according to Martin's obit), in 1850, stopped over near Rochester, NY in 1854 and then settled in Douro Township, Ontario around 1860. Martin was born in 1828-9 and his parents were Dennis Guerin and Catherine (nee Moloney). I'd like to find some information on where exactly in Tipperary they were from - any suggestions for leads? I haven't been able to find them on passenger lists either, I'm assuming they sailed to St. Johns, NB or Quebec before moving on down the St. Lawrence River to Rochester (where my great grandfather Michael was born in 1854).
Another mystery yet unsolved is one of Martin and Johanna's daughters, Bridget Guerin. She was born in Douro, Ontario, approx. 1862, married Harry Stratton and moved to Rochester, NY. I haven't found a single thread of info on Bridget, last record of her is an 1881 Canada Census, where she is listed as living with her parents still. Thanks!

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Guerin info: Dennis and Catherine, Martin and Johannna
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 July 14 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat  ;D

I can only find one  Martin Guerin aged 40 yrs a farmer arrived 14 Nov 1848 on the ship ELEANOR departing from Limerick and place of destination claimed was Philadelphia, paid his own passenger so this is not your man

At that time in history the Irish would go to whatever port they could, often with passage paid by the Uk Government and Charities, so they could have gone from any port in Ireland or over to the UK and gone from one of the Ports there and again may or may not have gone directly to Canada, they could have gone to America and then onto Canada and also could have stopped off at other European ports on route.
The passenger ship lists do not list their birth place, normally just Ireland and port of departure.

With Martins DOB you are looking for parish records and a baptism.

It may be an idea to look at the Irish census and see the people of this surname, where they are as it may give you a clue about where to look for the parish records for your ancestors and there are plenty of this surname  in Tip and that gives you a starting point.

Census of Ireland 1901/1911 and Census fragments and substitutes, 1821-51
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend