Author Topic: Unpleasant Deaths  (Read 43579 times)

Offline grouse

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unpleasant Deaths
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 24 May 15 07:24 BST (UK) »
Family rumour I heard as a child said that Great Grandma had died of a dart in the nose. As a kid this envisaged her hacking her way through the deep jungle to be attacked by a native blowing a poisoned dart and dying of her encounter surrounded by the dancing attackers
Turns out she sat too near the dart board in her local East End pub where a stray dart hit her on the nose and she died of blood poisoning 

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 24 May 15 07:46 BST (UK) »
Yes our Grade 7 teacher tried to stop us from scratching pimples by using the example of a man in the 30s scratching his forehead and dying from toxicity through sweat mixing with the hat dye

As it was 1970s and we only wore beanies we figured we were safe
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline William Abraham Akese-Mackay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 24 May 15 10:21 BST (UK) »
Such tragic death will not happen to you

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 24 May 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
Pontypridd Observer 8 June 1907: Inquest on the Body of Mr Vazie Simons [my great-uncle]

Mr R.J. Rhys, Coroner, Aberdare, held an inquest on Monday touching the death of the late Mr Vazie Simons, the well-known solicitor who was found in his chambers, Market Square, Pontypridd, on Saturday last shot near the heart.

The evidence of Mr Sidney (sic) Simons, Mayor of Merthyr, who was much grieved, was to the effect that the deceased was 48 years of age and lately resided at Bradford Place, Penarth. He left a widow and three children. Witness last saw him alive at Tredegar about a month ago but had since had no communication with him.

In answer to the Coroner, witness said he personally did not know anything about any depression his brother had lately suffered. He had lately lost a very important appointment, which he held, and that gave him a great deal of trouble and anxiety. He never knew the deceased to have a revolver in his life, neither was he in the habit of going about with one in his pocket. He had been abroad in Australia and might have carried one there.

Mr W Upham, a clerk in the deceased's employ, spoke to seeing his late chief coming to the office on Saturday morning. Witness went into the room three times, but the deceased never spoke to him. He had been very quiet during the last few days and different to usual. Witness did not hear the report of a firearm but his fellow-clerk shouted to him and when he rushed into the deceased's room, he saw him sitting in his chair with the revolver on the blotting pad. Deceased lived for about four minutes but did not speak. Witness had never seen a revolver with the deceased and was not aware that he carried one.

Mr James Taylor, chief clerk, states that he had a conversation with his master that morning and he appeared to be very rational. Witness, however, knew that he had been depressed for some days. Witness heard a report of a pistol and on going into the room saw Mr Simons in his chair. He immediately telephoned for medical assistance.

Inspector Salter said when he got to the office, the deceased, who was being supported by his clerk, was quite dead. He examined the body and found a bullet mark in the region of the heart. The revolver (produced) was on the table directly in front of the deceased with one of the five chambers discharged.

The Coroner (inspecting the weapon): It is quite a new revolver. Have you any information where it has been bought?

Inspector Salter: No, but it has not been bought at Pontypridd.

Dr Shaw Little, Cilfynydd, described a small circular wound in the left breast. The wound had lacerated edges and there must have been a considerable laceration of the lung tissue to account for the profuse bleeding. The bullet appeared to have just missed the heart, but it was difficult to say definitely what direction it had taken. The vest was blackened and torn, and in his opinion the wound must have been self-inflicted.

The Coroner, in directing the jury, said that he always thought in cases of that nature that the least said the better. They had the fact that the two clerks heard the report, and immediately after found the deceased dying in his chair; and Dr Lyttle (sic) had told them that the wound was self-inflicted. The brother had informed them that the deceased had just lost a very important appointment which had made him depressed and it was for the jury to say whether that was sufficient to justify them saying that the deceased was of unsound mind.

The jury returned a verdict of "Suicide during temporary insanity" and the foreman, Mr Roddy, expressed sympathy with the bereaved family.

The Coroner joined in the expression of condolence, adding that it was his business to be in the midst of trouble, but in this case he felt it more particularly because he had known deceased since he was a lad.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 29 May 15 00:07 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness there seems to be some horrid deaths in these posts.  So I will add mine.

Three year old boy kicked in head by horse, took a month for the poor lad to die.

Grandmothers little sister drunk poison (thinking it was lemonade)

My mother's brother pulled a boiling hot pot of soup onto himself (nearly two years old), which took all his skin off.

Another family member squished by horse and dray

And another family member slipping on the wharf hitting his head and drowned

Then this one sticks in my mind, a story told to me via a South African friend.  A lady they knew while she was growing up there, was walking down the street with her little girl, she was busy skipping down the road and slipped in front of a rubbish truck and had her head crushed.  The horror for both mother and driver must of been unbearable for many years.

TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 29 May 15 06:43 BST (UK) »
That brings back memories, A toddler fell under a bus wheel outside of [my] school, the same happened. Bad timing, it was when school was finished and everyone was on their way out of the gates, upset/traumatized a good number of 11 to 15 years olds.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 29 May 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
Some of these are so sad...One of my ancestors was crossing the road in 1903 when a wagonette ran over her foot....she was taken into the foyer of a nearby pub where they sat her down and removed her boot only to find a ruptured vein....they put her foot in a bucket of water but she bled to death before help arrived. She was 29 and left behind 7 children the youngest of which was just 9 months old.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 30 May 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
Death can be fatal!

Skoosh.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 30 May 15 14:04 BST (UK) »
When I was at school in the 1940s we had to have a bottle of milk each day - remember that? - anyway one day the milk didn't arrive and most of us were really happy not to have to drink the stuff.  The reason it hadn't arrived was that the milkman had jumped off a road bridge onto the railway track below and had been run over by the oncoming steam train.  I didn't like milk in the first place, but that put me off forever.