Author Topic: Unpleasant Deaths  (Read 43331 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unpleasant Deaths
« on: Saturday 05 July 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
Not sure that this is necessarily 'the lighter side' but received a death certificate in the post today giving the place of death as the workhouse and the cause as Gangrene of the Scrotum....  :o

'twas three days before Christmas too, poor man.

Made my son turn a nasty shade of green when he read it  ;)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unpleasant Deaths
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 July 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
Aw...imagine the suffering ???...and some men complain like babies if they have a hangover  :P  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 July 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
Not seen that one before. Canīt help wondering what happened to him that triggered the gangrene.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 July 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
Apparently its also known as Fournier's Gangrene and in researching the causes (often diabetes or alcohol related) I came across a report of an otherwise healthy 29 year old male who was admitted as an emergency case.  I wont post the link in case there are those of a delicate disposition, but lets just say my son may be sitting on his hands for a long, long time  ;D
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 July 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
Just looked up the article you referred to :) Ouch !
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 July 14 19:05 BST (UK) »
Just looked up the article you referred to :) Ouch !

When I was a teenager I sprained my wrist.  I learned that "self-abuse" had its dangers but I never knew it could be fatal!
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 August 14 01:27 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather Joseph Oakey (3.5.1851 - June 1896) was a carrier's carman (i.e. horse & cart driver).

Family tradition related that, working ridiculously long hours, he had fallen from the box seat and been crushed under the wheels of his own cart.

The coroner's inquest record certainly corroborates the tradition that he was crushed under the wheels of his own cart ... and it happening in June would certainly be consistent with working ridiculously long hours (plenty of daylight in June ...)

I've always thought that one was pretty unpleasant ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 August 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
Can't find the particular reference but in the Stourbridge area a glassmaker crawled into the space below a glass furnace to look for a hotspot, when the roof gave way and he was enveloped in molten glass.
Not really the "Lighter Side!" though.

Skoosh.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 August 14 13:40 BST (UK) »
In December 1880, my great x 3 grandmother died after an oil lamp she was filling spilled over and caught her clothes alight, she was 89 at the time. The inquest said that a passing labourer rushed in and extinguished the flames but her throat and face were badly burnt and she died a week later. I've always thought that must have been a painful death.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk