Author Topic: Unpleasant Deaths  (Read 43547 times)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Unpleasant Deaths
« Reply #135 on: Sunday 29 July 18 19:33 BST (UK) »

I would love to know who the poor man was to marry

It was a lady called Mrs Denne, who lived at Bournemouth.
He was due to take up a new job at the station there once he'd married.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Sunday 29 July 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
My grandfathers nephew, Gibb McAughtrie, and many other relatives of mine, were involved in the Knockshinnoch Mining Disaster in the 1950's. (New Cumnock).  Some of them did not survive, but  Gibb was the first person to be brought to the surface during the rescue mission. Several miners died, including a number of my relatives who were involved in the drawn out rescue procedure.  One of them, Andrew Houston, lead the rescue team.  Another relative got the George medal!  Both my grandparents were born in New Cumnock, so there were a lot of my relatives from both sides whose lives were lost, or they were seriously injured.

I have a video of a film that was made about the rescue "The Brave Don't Cry", sent to me by a relative, I also have a book that was written about the Disaster, "Black Avalanche"!

https://newcumnockhistory.com/2015/09/14/knockshinnoch-the-rescued-men/
My granddad William Bickerton was one of the rescued men,looks like your relative got him out!Again i have many relatives killed in the Ayrshire coalfields,so much that my Grandad and my mum wouldn't let me go down the pit.
  My wife's great aunt died as a young teenager after her nightie caught fire as she lent over the fire to hang up her Christmas stocking :(

That's really sad about your Great Aunt Pogo!

I must be related to just about everyone in New Cumnock, including many who rest in the Afton Road Cemetery, so it's very likely I'm related to you as well!!  ;D ;D

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Monday 30 July 18 04:17 BST (UK) »
1908: 3 April 1908. Thomas Benson Routledge appointed 2nd  Lieutenant  The Monmouthshire Regiment. London Gazette 25 August 1908, page 6230
1908:  Certificate of Competency of Manager of Mines given to Routledge, Thomas Benson. Certificate Number   3,263  granted 1st  25  Sep  1908
1908: Death. Newspaper article. Manager of Crumlin Pit. On Wednesday morning a young man was found dead on the banks of a canal at Newport, Mon (Monmouthshire), shot through the head and holding a revolver in his right hand. He was identified as T.B. Routledge, manager of Crumlin New Pits and son of a prominent colliery manager. He was twenty-five years of age, unmarried and had only recently obtained his first-class colliery manager's certificate. North Devon Journal Thursday 31st December 1908 (in British Newspaper Archive). There is a possibility that the revolver was purchased by Thomas for his activities in the Monmouthshire Regiment.

He was doing a lot for a 25 year old. Was he overloaded? Or was it an affair of the heart?

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Monday 30 July 18 06:03 BST (UK) »
A 2nd great uncle of mine was run down by a train, while walking along the track between Saltcoats and Stevenston, in Ayrshire. His widow drowned herself, a few years later. Another 2nd great uncle died in a railway shunting accident, falling from the buffers and under the train, which decapitated him.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Monday 30 July 18 06:43 BST (UK) »
A cousins wife died in August 1942 when they were travelling on a night train.  It was blacked out and it was believed that she mistook the outer door for the one for the toilet and fell from the train.  After she failed to return my cousin started a search for her, but her body was found on the line by an early train travelling in the other direction.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Monday 30 July 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
That's so sad Nanna! 😥🌺🌺
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Monday 30 July 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
Yes JB it was.  They lived in Hull and he was in the merchant navy.  They were going for a holiday in Cornwall, where he was born.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 04:13 BST (UK) »
When sorting through some old papers, (a death cert)  I discovered that my Great Aunt Polly (Mary) suffered an unpleasant death in 1985, aged 90.  She had always locked herself in the bathroom when taking a bath, as she had untreated advanced breast cancer, (had refused to have treatment)  in both breasts, which was unknown to her family, except for my grandmother, (her sister - who was sworn to secrecy) and she had wanted to keep it from her hubby, my Uncle John.  She had very large breasts, and always wore a big bra, so I guess he had never seen them since she got the cancer, so didn't have a clue about it! She only had a bath when there was no-one else in the house except maybe my grandmother.

One day, while home alone and taking a bath, she forgot to lock the door, and when her husband got home and went into the bathroom, she was lying unconscious in the bath, with her bra on, the water cold, and he thought she had drowned. He called the ambulance, who took her to the hospital!   On her death certificate, the cause of death is noted as Bronchopneumonia - 3 days!  So sad!  If only she had told my uncle, their grown daughter, or allowed my Nan to tell him about the cancer earlier and get treatment for that, maybe then she wouldn't have died this way!  Very sad!  🙏🙏🌺🌺

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
It is sad, Jaybeinz, but perhaps at the age of 90 she’d decided that she didn’t want to go through all the trauma involved with treatment. I think if I was that age I might make the same decision.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk