Author Topic: Essex Records Office - New accessions & charges 21 July 2014  (Read 6857 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Essex Records Office - New accessions & charges 21 July 2014
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 18:56 BST (UK) »
The colour of the scan is not important. You could order a colour scan if needed. Plus there is NO index which may have justified the costs.

It is relevant because many of the greyscale scans from microfiche are often unreadable.  There are numerous examples on ancestry of registers that are difficult or impossible to read in places because they were scanned from the poor quality microfilms/microfiche.  In the case of colour scans, if the original register has faded, they are far easy to read.  And that applies to some of the Essex parishes because I have copies of some on microfiche. :-\

No there may not be an index, but then there aren't for most parish registers on microfiche.  In any case, considering the omissions and glaring irregularities in many of ancestry's and FindMyPast's indexes, they can't be relied upon without necessarily double checking the originals anyway.

Yes, agreed can use the excuse that it costs more for a trip there, but in this modern day n age we do not need to.  Thank goodness other counties do not feel the same way.  Just seems to be the trend now to make as much money as possible. Am sure if the yearly/half yearly subs were lowered they would make a lot more money!
Hopefully freereg will get in there soon.... ;D

In an ideal word yes everything would be available digitally but it needs to be remembered that county Archives are public sector organisations and our council tax pays towards their upkeep and any costs they incur digitising the records.  Ancestry, and to a lesser extent FindMyPast, have major gaps in quite a few of the parish register image sets and, in the case of ancestry, they are not interested in remedying the problems.  At least with SEAX if you find a problem, they will normally address it.

As for freereg, even they say they are a finding aid and not to be relied on in its entirety because mistakes can be made.  You can never be sure you have the correct family unless you check the transcripts against the original records, which means accessing them.  There is no point trying to rely on everything that is free because you may not be following the correct families.  As for using ancestry in your local library, that's fine if you can get to one and have use of a computer for sufficient time.  It's not possible at all libraries and for all people.

As for dropping prices, I suspect they've not been making as much as they wanted or the prices wouldn't have necessarily gone up.  Some people won't pay for anything anyway whatever the price is.  There are numerous examples of lookup requests on RC from people who won't pay for the certificate even when it's a direct ancestor.  It's all a matter of deciding what you spend your finite money on, everyone has different priorities when it comes to money for hobbies. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 22:07 BST (UK) »
I don't expect my hobby to be subsidised out of public funds. A few weeks of intensive study on SEAX has provided me with information that might have taken years to find otherwise. It was hard work doing a page by page search digitally, but I can hardly imagine the effort involved in manually searching. Worth every penny 8)

For the record, does anyone know which other counties have a similar digital archive?
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 August 14 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I do not consider the subs excessive, compared to what I'm paying to Ancestry they are cheap, haven't seen free Ancestry in Libraries over here in Oz, it's also a lot cheaper that visiting the ERO.  ;D

There is another side to be considered, the subs we pay to view Essex Ancestors no doubt go towards the ERO being able to digitise more records.

I would imagine that with the government (user pays) you have in the UK now, it wouldn't surprise me that they  would have cut funds to the Essex County Council and in turn the ECC would have to make savings across the board in everything they are responsible for.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 August 14 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
My local library over here in the West does give us access to Ancestry, haven't used it yet as I have a sub to Ancestry taken out before I knew about it.
Definitely cheaper than going to ERO from here but not as much fun if you can do it :)

I'm making a list of what and who I'm researching and will  buy a sub and hit the ERO in one fell swoop.

Good hunting to all.
Bear - Essex/ London/Middlesex
Fleming - Stockton,Wiltshire,
Gatward - Essex/Middlesex
Haggar/Hagger- Essex/Middlesex
Osborne - Somerset/Lond/Middlesex. CAN/USA
Page -Essex/Hertfordshire/Middlesex/Canada/USA
Rawlings - Lond/Middlesex UK
Woodroff/e -Wiltshire, Lond/Middlesex
Tillcock - Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 August 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
I did a month sub at the very beginning as I have a lot of Essex ancestors.I was frustrated that so many just weren't there and although some questions were answered there were many that weren't.I have FindMyPast and Ancestry at the moment and can't justify a sub to Essex.I could do a day or week one but I need to know the records are there.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 August 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
I too had a monthly sub at the start. I spent several weeks of intensive searching, reading literally thousands of pages, but I found dozens of relatives, many of whom I had no prior knowledge of. It certainly makes you appreciate the ease of using FindMyPast or Ancestry with their indexes and filters, even with the glaring errors and mis-transcriptions. Unless you put in the time there is little chance of finding anything . . . unless you know the dates and places already.

As the individual records on the ERO are not indexed you need to know roughly which parish your ancestors lived in, and when. Then it's a matter of finding the relevant registers (which are indexed) and browsing page after page of often barely legible records until you find them. Sometimes you find the ancestor was baptized in a neighbouring parish for no obvious reason, which means you need to check a local map if you don't know the area.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 August 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
All very time consuming.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)