Author Topic: Hawkins of Devon  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hawkins of Devon
« on: Sunday 06 July 14 05:27 BST (UK) »
Researching my hubby's Hawkins family from a Grace Hawkins born 1684 Kenn and died 1725
Her parent's were a John Hawkins Chris 20.9.1656 Kenn and Elizabeth Hayne
John's parents were a Thomas Hawkins chris 1631 Kenn and died 1723 Kenn married a Dorothy Dyer Diare born 1632 and they married 17.2.1655 Kenn
Thomas's father was a William Hawkins born around 1598 in kenn and died 1649 Kenn he married an Ann Karsewell/Carsewell born 1600 Devonshire to John carsewell born 1569 Kenn and Eleanore dyer diare born 1573 dying in 1618
I know William Hawkins is a member of the famed Hawkins branch but what line I have no idea
The William born in 1598 was a Mariner and could be either the son of
John buffyn married Blanche Hawkins their son William Buffyn Hawkind chris 15.3.1596 Saint Andrew, Plymouth
Or William Hawkins c 2.5.1599 saint Andrew, Plymouth to a William
Or William hawkins 12.2.1599 Barnstaple to a Richard
and last William c 28.8.1600 in Totnes to a William
Can anyone point me in the right direction or know more about these families
I do know the Hawkins of plymouth had many children and descendents I can see myself but what branch?
Any clue would be helpful to me doing my husbands tree
AvonGirl

Offline dafpilot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkins of Devon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 July 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
hello there,
               regarding the Hawkins family, do you by any chance have a Harriet Hawkins, born around 1820, was married to Nicholas Olden Butt, and was living in St Peters Port, Guernsey, as have only been able to find her on the 1841 census, and all I get is that she was born in England, which does not give you much to go on, I know this is a shot in the dark, but nothing ventured nothing gained.
           regards
                 dafpilot
hants, hart, hornsby, wilson, west.skinner
dorset, wilson.
guernsey, hart, butt, roper, de cateret, le mesuirer.
london, harris, west, butt, hornsby.
england in general, scammel
australia, butt. sainsbury hants, kent, sawyer, perry, cook,

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 July 14 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
Not at the moment but I'll have a browse around and see what I can find out.

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hi defpilot
This is what I have found out so far about your family.
Not so much Hawkins but the Butt's
I'm still searching for more info about Harriet but here are some.

HomeEvents CalendarAbout UsTimelineThe Hamilton DiariesPlane Crash 1943Then and NowPeoplePlacesCommunityFarmingIndustryCommercePublicationsHistory SchoolroomLesson IdeasContact UsWhat's Happening Now?A Century of Memories 1860s to 1960sChermside State School 1900-1996Photo Gallery - Families - KedronChermside Fire and Rescue ServiceChermside Post OfficesChermside HospitalsChurches of Chermside & DistrictLutwyche CemeteryWorld War I - The Great War - 1914-1918World War II - Continuation of the Great WarMystery Boiler - 7th Brigade ParkGeebung Building with Splayed SidesVandals and VandalismChermside - Foundation and GrowthMilne Bay and 7th Brigade RememberedChronology of Chermside & District70th Anniversary - Battle of Milne BayMcDowallMarchant LecturesStorm Damage in the Parks of ChermsideZillmere Housing Project 1950-1953ExperimentalTrams to ChermsideeNewsMember Login

Home Industry

Back : Next

Butt - F.G.Butt & Sons

F.G. Butt & Sons

Francis Gustavius Butt was born in Guernsey at Saint Peter Port on 6th September 1858, a son of Nicholas and Harriet (Hawkins) Butt.

By 1881 he was living in West Ham with his brother and his family. Both men were tinsmiths. Francis worked for a while in a fish and meat-canning works where he learned the art of hand soldering on 5 and 7lb cans. If the soldering was not done correctly, the lids blew of the cans and the worker had to pay for the lost can and contents. It was a great incentive to do the work properly.

Francis (Frank) migrated to New Zealand in 1884 and in 1888 he married Hilda Hall Odling, a daughter of a sea captain. They arrived in Brisbane in 1888 and settled at New Farm, later moving to the Geebung/Zillmere area in 1910. They bought the property called Weylands where they grew pineapples and small crops on their 24 acres,. The farm could not support the family so Frank decided to use his tinsmith skills and began to can his farm produce.

He started under the house and used the copper washing boiler for cooking. The business became so successful, with the assistance of all the family, that eventually Frank decided to concentrate on canning and gave up farming. Some of the items produced in their expanding factory included jam, apple jelly and marmalade but the main business was pineapple canning with associated lines such as tropical fruit salad, small cut, crushed pineapple and pineapple juice.

There were many canneries in Brisbane - Victoria Cross Manufacturing Co., Summerland Preserving Co., Hargreaves & Sons, R.M.Gow, John Fischle & Sons (Bald Hills), J.E.Bernard & Co., and the State Cannery.

The business continued until 1960 when the business was sold to Victoria Cross Cannery, later known as Henry Jones/IXL.

The Butt family was associated with the Methodist Church. Frank was a steward and trustee for many years and Hilda was the first president of the ladies Church Help Society.

Len and Colin Butt supplied much of the material for this article.

This is Harriet and Nicholas Butt's son Francis Butt's family

In the 1871 census lists
Nicholas O Butt born around 1820 St Peter Port, Guernsey and Harriet yes still had England down as birth
Children were
Osmond Butt age 23 born 1848 St peter port
Edwin H age 16 born 1855 st peter Port
Adolphus T age 15 born 1856 St Peter Port
Francis A age 12 born 1859 St peter port( The story is about him above)
James K age 10 born 1859 St peter port
Harriet age 8 born 1862 St peter port
All born Guernsey
Also the Butt's had a boarder with them a John Langlois age 5 born Torteval, Guernsey
In 1891 I think he was listed as son age 16
Another is a Harriet Susan Hawkins age 47 Niece born St peter port
There are lots of Hawkins in Guernsey in the navy
I would say Harriet may have been born Guernsey too
See what else I can find
AvonGirl

Offline dafpilot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Avongirl,
               Thanks for that, I know the Butt family got around a bit, one of them even ended up in Dundee, working as a confectioner, that was Edwin Hawkins Butt, just to let you know, I found out that Harriet father was William Hawkins, don't know if that is of any help.
         looking forward to hearing from you again
                              regards
                                       dafpilot
dorset, wilson.

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 July 14 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hi defpilot

That will narrow down the search
Looks like Harriet and Nicholas married between 1841 to 1848.
I tried a look up on BDM not successful yet
but I did find more about the Butt's going up to 1746!
I know when Nicholas passed so will look up death ref for you.
You never know our Hawkins could link up.

AvonGirl

Ps they had a photo of Francis and his wife.
I'll try and copy and paste to you :)

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 July 14 06:20 BST (UK) »
Here are Francis and Hilda Butt

Offline dafpilot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 July 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Avongirl,
                    Thanks for that,looking at the picture I see now where I get my lack of hair from,  ;D ;D ;D, I do know that the Butt family came from Horsington in Somerset, and I believe prior to that they where from the Gloucester area, and somewhere down the line from India/Pakistan/Iraq, as Butt is a name from that area.
                                                     looking forward to hearing from you again
                                                                    regards
                                                                           dafpilot.
dorset, wilson.

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 July 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi dafpilot
Ok will concentrate on the Hawkins
Found alot of William Hawkins having daughters named Harriet
A marriage of Harriet and Nicholas would shed some light if I can find them
Fingers crossed
I have a sneaky suspicion Harriet was born at st peter port in Guernsey
I have found some Hawkins from Cornwell eventually moved to Guernsey I just know they related to your family but no proof as yet.