Author Topic: ELI CLARKE  (Read 6975 times)

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ELI CLARKE
« on: Monday 07 July 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
hi, I have an eli Clarke born wotton under edge 1826 -to Robert Clarke and sarah croome , there was also a brother George born 1831 , I have ELI in the 1841 census ,but no George , I also have a death certificate for a George Clarke 1838 , no parents names ,I also have a write up on the death from a local newspaper -again no parents names ,just George clarkes death by accidental burning -----I cannot find ELI in 1851 census at all, or anytime after in the years to follow , however I have a George Clarke born in wotton under edge,joining the army in 1853  ,fathers name Robert Clarke --I know this to be my great grandfather as ive followed him on through his army papers and his marriage to mary holloran ,and then to widnes Lancashire where his children were born , does anyone know if it would have been possible that George died in the fire and ELI took on georges name and lived as George , in later years the said George called his first son George eli -- if im wrong -is there anyway anyone else can find an ELI CLARKE born in 1826 anywhere at all , I would be over the moon , thanks in advance ,
Clarke---- wotton under edge Gloucestershire and widnes Lancashire
GOODE  stourport /Kidderminster /Huddersfield
Holloran ---galway Ireland

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ELI CLARKE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 July 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
There is an Eli Clarke death in Bristol in 1851. Could that be him?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 July 14 23:11 BST (UK) »
I will have a look ,  I hadn't found anything at all

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 July 14 23:16 BST (UK) »
hi craclyn ,I will send for that certificate tomorrow and see what it says thanks

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 July 14 23:20 BST (UK) »
Good luck. Hope it turns out to be the chap you are looking for.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Bojangels ....are we talking about 2 different families here ? is this the census you have for Eli Clark/e
in 1841 Civil Parish Wotton Under Edge
William Croome aged 65
Sarah Clark born abt 1806 aged 35
John Darney born abt 1834 aged 7
Eli Clark born abt 1826 aged 15
Ruth Clark born abt 1829 aged 12
Rowland Clark born abt 1833aged 8
Charlotte Thames born abt 1838 aged 3

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry has all the details for George Clarke married to Mary Holloran with all the details that you mentioned along with copies of marriage certificate  ...and army records but they have his parent's down as Robert & Betty Clarke which could possibly be wrong ..The question is what George were you talking about that died in the fire ?
There are a few Eli Clarke's on the England and Wales criminal records one transported to Tasmania in 1848 maybe worth checking

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 23:07 BST (UK) »
ROSIE17 , thanks for the reply ,yes I have Robert and betty on my tree as parents but I know now that they are the wrong ones --I did have the incorrect family line ,but im back now into wotton under edge looking for the family as that's where George is supposed to have come from , its really George Clarke im looking for but as I cant find proof of him anywhere ,im having to eliminate any family of clarkes who have a son called George in them , that's where eli comes in, I have a Robert Clarke married to a sarah croom with a George and an eli in , I also have a death of a George Clarke aged 7 burnt to death in 1838 which matches my George ,but I need to know which family that unfortunate  George came from as if his parents were Robert and sarah Clarke then that's obviously the wrong family again , --I will get there its just there are so many George clarkes in wotton under edge --where do I find the info on eli Clarke as a criminal please thank you -bo

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 23:10 BST (UK) »
rosie 17 , me again ,yes just seen your other post ,yes that's the family im following now if its not the correct one at least ive eliminated them