Author Topic: Is his name James Henry Richardson or James McCarthy Richardson  (Read 640 times)

Offline Tomscot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Is his name James Henry Richardson or James McCarthy Richardson
« on: Tuesday 08 July 14 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find out if my Grt/Grt/ Grandmother Charity Turners husband was a James Henry Richardson, or was he James McCarthy Richardson, the reason I am looking for clarification is that on another web site it says Charity was married to a James Henry Richardson it states in 1841 Census his name was James Henry 30 Not born Sussex Schoolmaster, yet in the 1851 and 1861 Census he was a schoolmaster and born North Shield Northhumberland which I have been given by the good members of RootsChat. Any help on the above would as always be very much appreciated.
                                                             Kind Regards, Tomscot. ???
Sussex,Prodger,Goldsmith,Woods,Roberts, Pankhurst, Green,Souton,Lamper,Lower,Reeds,Turner,Hover,Bennet,Elliard,Peyt,Potter,West,Jeffrey, English,Seal, Clark,Hill,Salter, Carpenter,Blackman,Ince,Booker,Lacy,Acton,Marten,Cressey,Driver,Sowter,Young,Mitchell. Northumberland,Richardson. Northamptonshire, Lines,Pittom,Ward,Hall.Norfolk,Lake,Barnard,Spinks,Stephens,Griston,Gooch, Olley Holman.London Lake.Somerset, Rendell.Scotland, Muir, Clark,Aitken,

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is his name James Henry Richardson or James McCarthy Richardson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 16:23 BST (UK) »
Have you got a marriage for them?

Are they the Charity Turner & James Richardson who married at Alfriston, Sussex, 1 June 1830?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 17:15 BST (UK) »
They are the Alfriston couple and he does not ever appear to use a second name.   Buried at Alfriston in 1876 aged 71 from the looks of it.
http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?grave=365785&personid=776783&scrwidth=1600

If you google him he seems to have been the parish clerk of Alfriston.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
Yes he seems to be James at marriage, on children's baptisms and in the censuses 1851-1871.  James Henry in 1841 only.

Not sure where McCarthy might come from other than other people's trees which do not count as a source  :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Tomscot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 July 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
 Hi, Thank you for the information. James and Charity were Married on the 01/06/1830, in Alfriston Sussex, yet in the 1841,1851,1861,census it states James was born in Northumberland. James's mother was called Elizabeth McCarthy, she was my Grt/Grt/ Grandmother she married William Richardson on the 11/07/1802 in Jarrow. James McCarthy Richardson was born on the 07/06/1804. This I have well documented on the Family bible started by my Grt Grandmother his daughter Isabella Mitchell Richardson, also a family tree. What I cannot understand is that on Ancestry there a number of  family trees which state that Charity was married to a James Henry Richardson. All the dates are correct and also the children and their births, but James McCarthy Richardson has become James Henry Richardson. Thank you once again for your help as always it is very much appreciated.
                                         Kind Regards, Tomscot  :-[
Sussex,Prodger,Goldsmith,Woods,Roberts, Pankhurst, Green,Souton,Lamper,Lower,Reeds,Turner,Hover,Bennet,Elliard,Peyt,Potter,West,Jeffrey, English,Seal, Clark,Hill,Salter, Carpenter,Blackman,Ince,Booker,Lacy,Acton,Marten,Cressey,Driver,Sowter,Young,Mitchell. Northumberland,Richardson. Northamptonshire, Lines,Pittom,Ward,Hall.Norfolk,Lake,Barnard,Spinks,Stephens,Griston,Gooch, Olley Holman.London Lake.Somerset, Rendell.Scotland, Muir, Clark,Aitken,

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 July 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
It is probably because he himself says he is James Henry in 1841.   As a school master he was an educated man so could check what was being put on the form.   You have access to a family bible which presumably specifies on his birth entry that he is James McCarthy.   Others are simply taking what they can find in public records.  Once one person puts it online hundreds will copy it.
What does his baptism entry say?