Author Topic: Portaferry - ROSS/BOOMER  (Read 14541 times)

Offline clanmawr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Portaferry - ROSS/BOOMER
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 18:55 GMT (UK) »
furter to above query can help with dublin link cherrs kr

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Portaferry - Ross/Boomer
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 19:00 GMT (UK) »

There is a Portaferry Community Website and a Forum where you could post a message. They have not got a genealogy board or a history board on their site at the moment. I have to post them a message requesting a link back as I have created a link to their site on another website where I am a regular poster so I'll ask them about the possibility of a genealogy board. I'm a believer in the potential of local websites and had this point proved when I got a message from someone who told me she had posted on such a site and they had found a living descendent of the ancestor she was seeking. 

If we both tell the Portaferry Forum people about RootsChat in our messages we may get a few members from that part of the world.

And while you're at it, tell them to have a word with their buddies in Kircubbin.  The Kircubbin site hasn't functioned for months, probably years.

Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline clanmawr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 19:10 GMT (UK) »
hi have some certs relative to the ross boomer but boomer is a maternal link and i have marriage certs and baptismal certs for this im dublin connection me think

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Clammawr- damienb who posted the information earlier hasn't been online since Dec.2007 so it may be a while if he does reply.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline clanmawr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 19:33 GMT (UK) »
appreciate that cheers just came onto site for first  time myself thanks

Offline damienb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 December 08 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Still here! :)

Been checking periodically (obviously not logged on!) to see if there were any responses - not made a lot of progress. The name "Rainey" (Rene?) and the fact he was a blacksmith makes me think Lisburn may be worth checking out as I've seen both mentioned re Boomers there.

I've also been a bit sidetracked as I've been chasing up the Braniff side though getting towards the end of the line there too I think (back to around 1800).

Clammawr, I'd be interested in any info you may have - I know my mother said she's talked to some of the Dublin crowd on various occasions when they visited but I think that was some time ago now.

Merry Xmas all.

Damien

Damien

Offline sio59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 December 08 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Damien,

Perhaps these may be of some help

Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage    22 May 1886
Groom Name    richard MITCHELL
Bride Name    rose anne BOOMER
Church    Saint Annes Church of Ireland
Parish    Shankill
Civil District    Belfast
County    Antrim

Wills Calendars
Date of Death    18 Jul 1897
Year of Probate    1898
Name    Reney Boomer
County    Antrim
Residence    Old Park Lisburn

Sio
BEVAN, Cambridge, New York
CORBETT, DUNNE, WILLINGTON, Tipperary
LYNCH, Tipperary, Dublin, New York
CARROLL, Tipperary,  Limerick
CONNERY,ELLIS,GUERIN,HINCHY,HUMPHRIES,McMAHON,SHEEHY,TAYLOR,WELSH/WALSH,  Limerick
CONLISK, DALY, DAVIN, FLANAGAN,  Kilconla, Galway
BROWN, Tyrone
HANNON, MOORE, TOTTEN,  Antrim
McLERNON /McALERNON, CREANEY, DONNELLY ,  Antrim, Down, Armagh

Offline damienb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 December 08 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sio - looks promising. Something to keep me occupied during the holidays:-)

Damien

Done a bit more research (not a lot further forward though!) and have some additional information. What I'm after is any advice on the best place to search next :-)

I'm sure (well 99%!) that the Boomers in Portaferry (James m Eliza Sullivan and Phil m Eliza(beth) McDade) were brothers. Looking at the births and who sponsored them when they were baptized I now also have:

Elizabeth Boomer, Jane Boomer, Patrick Sullivan and Ann Sullivan - I'm guessing from this that Elizabeth and Jane were sisters to James and Phl and that Pat was a brother to Liza and Ann either a sister or possibly married to Pat (or another brother!)

Phil's marriage info indicates he was a labourer and his father was Rainey Boomer, a blacksmith. Eliza McDade's father was William, a shoemaker.

Any suggestions as to where I might go next would be much appreciated - they must have come from somewhere!

Damien

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 July 11 03:08 BST (UK) »
Hi damiemb,
Somebody sent me this posting thinking we may be connected.
 I have BOOMERs all through my genealogy. I saw a couple of connections like Lisburn, Dunmurry and Boomer of course. I read all of your names and I haven't made a connection, but then I'm stuck in my genealogy and can't get back further than three generations.From what I have read my Boomers and families all belonged to the church of Ireland. Lisburn Cathedral and Derriaghy church of Ireland. Something happened that the first name became Boomer (my grandfather and others) I feel that when one of the  Boomer women got married, and had a different last name,  they named the boys first name as Boomer to carry the name on.
I wish I could make a connection but will have to have a better look at your names.
Co.Antrim- Boomer (Bulmer), Partridge, Houston, Alderdice,
Co. Down- Leckey (lackey etc), Taylor,