Author Topic: Sarah Casson 1703 Scotland (Highlands?)  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Lizzy55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Casson 1703 Scotland (Highlands?)
« on: Friday 11 July 14 07:45 BST (UK) »
Looking for info - Sarah Casson (Carson or Kasson) b.c.1703 Scotland (Highlands?) m. William McConnell b.1699.  Allegedly they lived in Berwick and William carried on a mercantile business.  He died in 1725 of tuberculosis.  They had one child, George McConnell.  Family info states that after William's death, Sarah and son George returned and possibly lived with Sarah's parents.

Using my DNA results, I see that my results match a bunch of Casson results but no Carson or Kasson.  Hence I believe her name may have been Sarah Casson.   

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Casson 1703 Scotland (Highlands?)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 July 14 08:39 BST (UK) »
When and where was George born?

When and where did George get married and to whom?

Offline Lizzy55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 14 20:04 BST (UK) »
George McConnell was born at "Berwick on the Tweed" 1725, in Scotland (Berwick?, N. Berwick?).
His father was William McConnell b.1699, his grandfather was George McConnell.  William had a mercantile business at Berwick until his death in 1728- William and his parents all suffered from "consumption," or tuberculosis.  George married in the US- 8 April 1751 George married Martha "Patty" Seely at Bedford, Westchester Co, NY.  They were members of South Salem Presbyterian Church where George was an elder.  George died in 1788 in Pittstown, Rensselaer Co, NY, where more of the family made their home for many generations before they moved to Oneida Co, NY.  They had children Sarah, Martha, George, Thadeus, James, Eli, Dorcas, Lydia, & William.  William wrote a family history (of questionable accuracy) which can be found online at http://cafeouimettebythebay.blogspot.com/2011/05/history-of-mcconnell-by-william.html .

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 July 14 20:32 BST (UK) »
Berwick on Tweed has been in England since the 15th century, in the county of Northumberland.

North Berwick is a town on the coast of East Lothian (or Haddingtonshire) on the Firth of Forth, not far from Edinburgh.

Neither of them really qualify as being part of the Highlands.  :-\

The name Casson doesn't strike me as a Scottish name, but then it might be disguised through inconsistent spelling/recording.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 July 14 20:36 BST (UK) »
Lizzy how was the death info verified?

Offline Lizzy55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 01:11 BST (UK) »
All the information I have is from a family writing entitled "History of McConnell."  Many of the facts do not pan out as legitimate.  We are aware of the facts about Berwick and are not sure which Berwick they lived in.  I did state that after William's death they return to the Highlands.  It was stated that the family was greatly against the marriage.  I am not sure whose death you are referring to with regards to verifications.  If you mean George's father William in 1728, I have no idea who verified it.  None of us were around at the time. 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
Black's "Surnames has Casson as a shortened MacCassen. There's a song by Matt McGinn? about a certain Casson,  who ran off with the Orange Lodge cash as I recall, the ending is, tooralie ooralie ooralie ay! :)

There are fourteen hits for Casson in the National Archives, enter Casson in the search-box.

http://www.nas.gov.uk/

Skoosh.

Offline Lizzy55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  My searching showed Casson more common that Cassan (I grew up with a gf of that surname).  Casson shows more common in England that Scotland, I believe.  So I need to check up on Cassen, MacCassen, McCassen, M'Cassen, M'Casson, M'Cassan, etc.  Thanks for the info.  I have no verification of anything so presently I'm searching everything.  As young as she was, I question whether Sarah "Casson" remarried, and/or whether she emigrated to the US or England or Ireland.  I question whether she actually was from the Scottish Highlands.  That is just family lore at this point. 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 July 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
Lizzy,  a wee correction, it was a Rev' Hasson who ran off with the Orange Lodge cash, you Casson's are in the clear!  :)

Skoosh.