Author Topic: Spars Latvia  (Read 3280 times)

Offline lonestar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Spars Latvia
« on: Friday 16 July 04 12:36 BST (UK) »
Has anyone heard of the name Spars which originated from Latvia.  Have agrandfather Alexandru Spars and name of Jocob as father on wedding cert.  Alexandru was a firemen o ships that went back and fro to Ellis island and eventually settled in England.
Hubble and Spars

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Spars Latvia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 July 04 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,

'msorry i cannot help you directly, but a very warm welcome to RootsChat !!  We were very fortunate to be able to go to Latvia a few weeks ago on Business & Holiday.

The Latvia Family History Society there is on Iela Skola in Riga. We stayed in a hotel in the same road.

It is quite sad to hear that the Latvian born are only now able to pursue an interest in their family history.

We met a couple who were born in Latvia but escaped in the 1940's for England.  They had tried to return but were unable to do so untill 1991.  To their suprise the Latvian language, the tongue of their family had changed since they had left to be influenced by the Russians who had occupied the country for most of the absent years. They felt distanced not only by the language but by the different life experiences.

Today Latvia is so optimistic it truly blooms and after a long time is beginning to grasp it's roots.

The building you see is a major gateway for the Latvian people, through this gateway the younger people can finally research the Latvian History and celebrate this.

If you would like any assistance in contacting the FHS in Riga, then I have some business contacts there who just might be able to help.

As I write, the watch on my wrist was bought from Latvia, and beats proudly with the memory of Latvia.

I should be going back there again this year too. :)

Trystan
RootsChat Admin

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline lonestar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 July 04 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
thank you for your reply.   I have been told that I would need to know where Alexandru came from in Latvia but am unable to find out.  Alexandru married Maria Janssens from Belgium in 1915 in England.  I have written to every Spars/Spares in Latvia I could find, some replied some did not.  (Apparently a lot of names were changed during the time that differnt countries took over). I was wondering if perhaps they might think I was after claiming land back but I have no inclination to do that, I just would like to trace the family back.  Have you any ideas on the way I could possibly find out.
Hubble and Spars

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 July 04 21:37 BST (UK) »
I admire your determination - did you write in Latvian or Russian?
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline lonestar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 July 04 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
I had someone translate for me, now I correspond with three people on and off, unfortunately they cant help me but it gives me an insight to the life there.
Hubble and Spars

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 July 04 09:54 BST (UK) »
The Latvians have gone through very trying times - but the mood in Riga at least is very optimistic. :)

Offline Allison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 July 04 19:31 BST (UK) »
You might try contacting the Latvian State Archives.  You can email them & you will get a rather quick email response if they can help.  I don' t have a url for them, but you can turn them up by doing a Google search.They speak English & seem to be very helpful. They have told me they should have an answer about my grandfather in about a month.  My grandfather was Gustav Neumann from Riga & he took in a lot of Latvian refugees into his house in N.Y.--who knows-- perhaps your grandfather knew my grandfather. I will lwt you know when I find an answer.  Allison

Offline suep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the jewishgen website? I don't know if your ancestors were Jewish but a search of the site for Spars certainly brings up at least one family.
I too can recommend the Latvian State Archives -
An initial email enquiry will get a response within a few weeks telling you if they have any records that can help you
I was lucky enough to visit Latvia too this summer and can highly recommend it!

Good Luck

Suep