Author Topic: Completed - with thanks: Melbourne Cemetery - can anyone help?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Completed - with thanks: Melbourne Cemetery - can anyone help?
« on: Sunday 13 July 14 18:26 BST (UK) »
I have two death notices from the Derby Daily Telegraph saying that this couple were to be buried at Melbourne (where they had lived for many years)

Florence Elizabeth WEARING, of 117 Swarkestone Road, Chellaston, funeral at Melbourne Cemetery on 11th May 1946
Joseph WEARING, of 117 Swarkestone Road, Chellaston, funeral at Melbourne Cemetery on 1st June 1948.

Their daughter, Grace Annie WEARING, did not marry and she died on 31st December 1965  at the same address as given for her parents at the time of their deaths.

Not sure if it is relevant, but the family were very active Methodists, Dad was a preacher and Grace Annie (who was a teacher) spent some time in Africa with the Methodist Mission.

Does anyone have access to the cemetery registers and can tell me if Grace Annie was buried with her parents? Or does anyone know if there is perhaps a gravestone that would possibly give me the answer?

Thanks

Boo

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
Re: Melbourne Cemetery - can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 July 14 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Florence Elizabeth Wearing 11 May 1946 - Entry No 4591, Married Woman Aged 64, of 117 Swarkeston Road, Chellaston, Plot 3795 Unconcecrated

Joseph Wearing, 1st June 1948 Entry No 4678 Retired, of 117 Swakeston Rd, Chellaston, Same Plot No, Unconcecrated

Also - Joseph Wearing, Retired Cremated remains, 12 January 2000, Entry No 6754, Aged 91 of 23 Windsor Avenue, remains scattered.

Will have a look if they are in the Monumental Inscriptions

Cheers
Jan  :-*
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 July 14 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Again

No Mention of Grace in the inscription - :

A Vase Monument - In loving Memory of Joseph and Florence M Wearing.

Correction to the last One - the second Joseph's address was 12 Ambelside Drive - daft me look at the wrong line :)

Hope this is of use,
Cheers
Jan

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 July 14 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan Ann

Thank you! It is a LOT of use :-) and I really do appreciate your time and knowledge.

Though my original thought was that, as she hadn't married, Grace Annie may have been buried in her parents grave, your reply means I can discount that and look elsewhere.

I suspect that the second Joseph was their son, Joseph William WEARING, who died in 2000, in Pontefract. A Google maps search tells me that there is an Ambleside Drive in Pontefract so, once I can get to a Probate office, I can check to see if there is an entry for him with that address and that will sort him :-)

The vase monument :  sorry to nitpick but I am unsure about the middle initial of M for Florence. As far as I am aware, her middle name was Elizabeth.

I am going to the Derbyshire Records Office next week and now I know where she 'wasn't' buried, I can start to look for Grace Annie in other cemeteries.

Thank you so much for your prompt and helpful reply, its very much appreciated.

Boo

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 July 14 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo

No problem :)  The Monumental Inscription might have a typing error with Florence's Middle Name - the burial register States Florence Elizabeth.
Cheers
Jan  :-*

TIVEY, WILDE,

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 July 14 20:48 BST (UK) »
So sorry (why do I always think of the 'supplementary' questions, later?)

Do you (or does anyone else) know if I am correct in translating "Unconsecrated" into non-conformist?

Does the consecrated section relate to those who belonged to the established church? Therefore, as these folk were Methodists they would be in a different section of the cemetery?

Thanks

Boo

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 July 14 22:50 BST (UK) »
Im Not an expert on non-comformist etc but I do know that most of my Tivey family (and connections) from Melbourne were General Baptists and every one of the Baptists graves in my family are on "unconcecrated" ground, so I assume so :)
Cheers
Jan

TIVEY, WILDE,

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 July 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jan Ann. Looks like we are both thinking along the right lines then :-)

Boo