Author Topic: Cubbin/Cubbon Homestead - Rheaby Beg - Patrick - Isle of Man.  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cubbin/Cubbon Homestead - Rheaby Beg - Patrick - Isle of Man.
« on: Monday 14 July 14 04:59 BST (UK) »
In 1995 my husband and I (from New Zealand) walked from Peel on a Sunday when there were no buses to find my great grandfather's home ( John Cubbon died in New Zealand, son of Thomas Cubbon) at Rheaby Beg, Patrick. A farmer in a landrover pointed it out to us as we were nearing it   (on the left of the road from Peel up a small hill) but although we were able to take a photo we were unable to be close enough to take a good image as the dogs were barking frantically. A family member has just been there and locals weren't sure about the spot but did indicate that some house ruins may have been the spot. She herself had seen it 33 years ago but said what she saw did not appear familiar.
She took a photo anyway.

Can anyone with local knowledge of the history of this area and of the Cubbons confirm one way or the other the fate of the home please?

I know this is a big ask but keeping my fingers crossed that some kind soul will assist me.

Faith Green.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cubbin/Cubbon Homestead - Rheaby Beg - Patrick - Isle of Man.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 21:29 BST (UK) »
I've been past that turning many times (on road Peel to Glen Maye just before you reach the bend into Glen Maye - but never been up it as for many years looked impassable - however there has been some development there within the last few years but again I've never checked to see what it is - I have the 1868 first edition 1:2500 sheet covering it on my ManxNoteBook CD - you may then be able to locate it via google earth and see what is there now - Rheaby Beg is shown on the old edition of the Public rights of way map (tho this was based on the 1868 6" to 1mile map) as coming off that track I mentioned but only accessible by unmade road/footpath - I don't have access to the more recent digital mapping version (mapped in 1980s) so can't check via that (I'm off Island at present + not back for a couple of weeks)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cubbin/Cubbon Homestead - Rheaby Beg - Patrick - Isle of Man.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 14 23:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Frances for your suggestions. I have now located the OS Map - 1976- which we used at the time, relooked at our own photo and it seems by our photo that there was just a rough track up to the home and even in 1995 the back of the house was supported by scaffolding. Was that for repairs or support!! We were unable to get a clear image of the front of the house due to the track's angle etc.
I have just spent time going slowly over Google Earth and comparing the Map tracks going off to the East with no firm conclusion at this stage. Our friend's photo does not seem to be the house relicts - we can tell by the position.
I am very appreciative of your suggestions, thank you as Google Earth had slipped my mind.
Faith.