Author Topic: German MIs - Caesar HALSALL Sr. d1892 & Stephen QUIRK d1843 & Wm QUIRK d1909  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Carol

• RootsChat Extra
  • wife, mom, gramma .. lifelong learner... fan of Y&R, blues music, classic rock music, photography, nature, dogs, sunny days, traveling, family history...
    • View Profile
What I'm looking for is all in the Subject line above.

I'm just putting the following as a bit of background if others are interested in the same family. Also to show inaccuracies in some censuses, and to explain what is going on in this particular family. It took a while to figure it out!

1851 Isle of Man census - Peel

Edward Railey (Bailey) head   62 married (his wife had died in 1846) butcher b Peel (all b in Peel)
Catherine Railey (Bailey) dau 32 mar (she was married/widowed and surname was Quirk not Bailey)
Joseph Railey ( Bailey) son 18 unm mariner
James Hall *nephew 13 unm shop boy
Cesar Halsal **nephew 12 unm scholar
William Quirk ***nephew 8 unm scholar

*James Hall is actually Edward Bailey's grandson, not his nephew. James was born out of wedlock to Edward's daughter, Mary, who died around the same time as the birth, and James Hall Sr. who it appears died in about 1841. Young James was raised in the home of his granddad, Edward Bailey, and eventually became a butcher too.

**Caesar Halsall is actually the son of Edward's daughter Catherine Anne and a fellow also named Caesar Halsall. So he is also Edward's grandson rather than his nephew. I am just guessing that young Caesar was born out of wedlock too. Can't find a wedding for Catherine and Caesar Sr.

***William Quirk is actually the son of Edward's daughter Catherine Anne and her husband Stephen Quirk who died 11 Feb 1843 in 29 Castle Street - Peel, Isle of Man. So, young William is also Edward's grandson rather than nephew.

Caesar and William were half brothers. They both went on to become Mariners. William was widowed at a young age and had very young children, so he became a fisherman by the 1881 census.

There is no sign of Caesar after the 1861 census. I'm hoping there is an MI for Caesar Sr that mentions Caesar Jr.

Thank you

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German MIs - Caesar HALSALL Sr. d1892 & Stephen QUIRK d1843 & Wm QUIRK d1909
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 06:16 BST (UK) »
The following deaths are on ManxBMD (.com):

1885 Halsall, Caesar  age 27  Malew district
1892 Halsall, Caesar  age 75  Peel district
1904 Halsall, John Caesar  age 0  Foxdale district

and a possible marriage?

16th August 1863, Braddan parish

Cosar Halsall to Jane Dodd.
Father given as Cosar Halsall
from www.imuseum.im

Possibly there is a mention  in "Presentments for Fornication"?
But these details appear on a CD-Rom, or at the Manx Museum.
see http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/cd_only/prsnts/index.htm
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)