Author Topic: John Jones of Jervais St. Dublin & Oldtown, Co. Kildare  (Read 6949 times)

Offline carhoglucan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Jones of Jervais St. Dublin & Oldtown, Co. Kildare
« Reply #27 on: Monday 30 December 19 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Ken
It's been a few years since your last post which I discovered today.

Your Jones names are very familiar to what I am researching but on different timelines..I'm hoping you might be able to shed some light on it.

I am researching the Jone's from Baltinglass for a friend who has discovered she is related to the Jone's and my own Jones family from Baltinglass and I am trying to find a connection between the families.

Her family line is Abraham Jones born 1830-1905 married Lucy/Lucinda Moorhouse.  His father was Robert Jones circa 1800-1849 who married Rebecca Carpenter (I received the Rebecca Carpenter information from another family tree on Family Search today).

My family line: My great grandmother is Harriet Sophia Jones born circa 1840s in Baltinglass.  Her father is John Jones from Relan Street, Baltinglass.  I am informed he died Oct-Dec 1885 at the age of 83 so he was born circa 1802.

Iím trying to connect her Robert Jones and my John Jones. We are old school pals and it would be great to discover a connection.  I'm hoping you can help.
Caroline

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 12:02 GMT (UK) »
This may help if you don't have it. Taken from Kiltegan CofI Cemetery.
Of Holdenstown
Erected by Robert Jones in memory of his son Esall Jones who departed this life 15/02/1839 age 11 years. Also a child who died young and also his son William Jones who departed this life 4.9.1847 aged 23 years and to the memory of the said Robert Jones. He departed this life March 22 1849 aged 49 and also William Carpender of Holdenstown 14/8/1855
A second seperate grave.
Edward Jones 15/1/1861 (61)
Ester (Wife) 5/2/1862 (51)
Erected by sons Christopher and Joseph

I probably have more notes but it will take some time to go through what is relevant. During all my research the only groups of Jones in the area I can directly link is the Newtown and Hacketstown Jones. I can only link the Holdenstown Jones indirectly by Carpender and Eager marriages. If there is a direct Jones link, it's at latest during the 1700s and hard to prove beyond doubt.
Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.

Offline carhoglucan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 02 January 20 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlie J.

Thanks for such a prompt reply. Yes  I got the cemetary information from you on another thread a few years ago.  I will keep digging.  Thanks again.
Caroline

Offline farrellr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 08 December 21 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am also researching John Jones of Oldtown who is my 4th great grandfather.  I can shed a bit more light to what has been already posted here if you are interested?
I am wondering if you know where the reference to Jervis (jervais) street came from?