Author Topic: Ideas re James Evans - a disappearing Policeman  (Read 2203 times)

Offline booksatskipton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ideas re James Evans - a disappearing Policeman
« on: Wednesday 16 July 14 11:12 BST (UK) »
James Evans was b in Kennington Surrey 1806 - was inspector / superintendent of met police
married first time (don't know wife's name)
Married second time in London 1849 to Louisa Eleanora Johnson nee Morgan originally of Dolgoch, Nr Newcastle Emlyn
They appeared in Tenby in 1861 with daughters Louisa Sara and Ellen Harriet.
Louisa dies in Carmarthen (King St) in 1869 - death cert says husband was retired inspector of met police - her age was given as 42 but the burial cert at St Peter's gives 62 which was more likely
daughter Ellen Harriet had died aged 13 in 1866 - burial was again at St peter's.
I can't find what happened to James - I found another St peter's burial of James Evans, King St in 1875 but have just got the cert and occupations / informant is wrong (unless he had become a bell hanger master and boot and shoe maker) .
I can't find him in the 1871 census
Any ideas?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas re James Evans - a disappearing Policeman
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
Are you sure about St Peter's ? There are burials at St David's for Louisa Elinora Evans aged 63 in 1869 and Ellen Harriet Evans aged 13 in 1866. Both King St.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can't see James in the 1871 census in Wales or England either.

Did James register Louisa's death?  If so, was his address the same as hers?  Have you checked the 1871 census to see who was living in King Street?  Have you followed up the children to see if James is with them?

There is also this death registration which seems to fit if the family had moved from Tenby.
Deaths Sep 1870 Evans  James  63  Carmarthen  11a 412

Barbara

Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline booksatskipton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 14:33 BST (UK) »
Are you sure about St Peter's ? There are burials at St David's for Louisa Elinora Evans aged 63 in 1869 and Ellen Harriet Evans aged 13 in 1866. Both King St.

Hi shaun  - thanks, I misread the Saint! those are the 2 I was referring to.

Offline booksatskipton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can't see James in the 1871 census in Wales or England either.

Did James register Louisa's death?  If so, was his address the same as hers?  Have you checked the 1871 census to see who was living in King Street?  Have you followed up the children to see if James is with them?

There is also this death registration which seems to fit if the family had moved from Tenby.
Deaths Sep 1870 Evans  James  63  Carmarthen  11a 412

Barbara

Hi Barbara

james registered Louisa's death and gave the address as King Street (no number  :( ).  Have checked on the kids in 1871 and daughter Louisa was training to be a nurse in London and he not with any of the older kids (his first marriage) that I can find.

Thanks for the other death ref - had missed that - I would not be surprised if that was him (and would explain his elusiveness in 1871)  - he retired from the Met in 1857 on the grounds of ill health aged 50 and I was a bit surprised to find he was still around when Louisa E died.  Will get cert and see what it shows

jane