Author Topic: British West Indies: Harry Martin Clipp  (Read 1918 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British West Indies: Harry Martin Clipp
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 July 14 19:48 BST (UK) »
the reason I believe George Clipp was born in Scunthorpe in 1873 is because that is what it tells us on the Commonwealth War Graves entry for Harry.

That's not right. http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2977667/CLIPP,%20HARRY%20MARTIN

I've never seen a CWGC entry that gives birth details for a parent.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewdwilliams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 July 14 20:13 BST (UK) »
On the certificate listed on that website it states that he is the son of George Clipp. However, I can't find anymore what told me about George Clipp's details. I'll have to search for a minute.

EDIT: Ah, yes, apologies for the confusion there. It seems I got the information about George's birth date and location from the 'member connect' feature on ancestry.co.uk. The only other person that seems to have researched Harry and George has listed his birth and sourced it with the 1901 Census entry for George.
SCOTT, WOOD, STEEL/STEELE, HOLMES, LEE, COLLEDGE, SHAKESHAFT/SHACKSHAFT, O'NEILL, SPINK, BAILEY

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 July 14 21:15 BST (UK) »
Well I think that 1901 census transcription is a bit dubious !

Offline andrewdwilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 July 14 22:17 BST (UK) »
Well I think that 1901 census transcription is a bit dubious !
I agree. What do you think an 'officer' at the Islington Infirmary would be? An employee? A doctor of some kind?

EDIT: Disregard that, he's listed as the stoker which has already been mentioned in this thread.
SCOTT, WOOD, STEEL/STEELE, HOLMES, LEE, COLLEDGE, SHAKESHAFT/SHACKSHAFT, O'NEILL, SPINK, BAILEY

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 July 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Have had a look at this,would suggest that Martin may be the mothers maiden name.
There does not appear to be a birth entry anywhere in the name of Harry or Henry Clipp for 1896.

A long shot,,,,
Lewis Martin stableman,age 35,and Elizabeth Martin have 3 children listed 1901 London,as being born New York Brit Subj,
James ,Henry b 1896,and Elizabeth.
Lewis is a patient,London 1911.

Brionne.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewdwilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 July 14 10:51 BST (UK) »
Have had a look at this,would suggest that Martin may be the mothers maiden name.
There does not appear to be a birth entry anywhere in the name of Harry or Henry Clipp for 1896.

A long shot,,,,
Lewis Martin stableman,age 35,and Elizabeth Martin have 3 children listed 1901 London,as being born New York Brit Subj,
James ,Henry b 1896,and Elizabeth.
Lewis is a patient,London 1911.

Brionne.
Thanks Brionne, but from what I can tell this isn't our man. From what I've gathered so far, it seem Harry Martin was born either in the British West Indies (which would explain why he has no birth record), or in London, probably in 1896. His father is recorded as George Clipp, but George Clipp actually seems to be George Cliff. If we do make the assumption he is George Cliff, then we find that he is married and has had children, that are younger than Harry. In fact, Harry was conceived before George's marriage so it may well be the case that Harry was disconnected from his half family and possibly did not even know about them, hence the different surname.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 July 14 11:27 BST (UK) »
On the known facts, I can't see any reason to assume that George Cliff from Scunthorpe has any connection with Harry Martin Clipp. 

Do let us know if you find any clues in the crew lists in BT99