Author Topic: Evesham town  (Read 1731 times)

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evesham town
« on: Thursday 17 July 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hello all my relatives lived in Evesham in 1881 George Tarplee and wife Ann plus children.
The census gives them as living next to Brotherton Gardens at Factory Yard.
I have looked at the map and am unable to find the location St Lawrence parish.
I will be visiting Evesham in September so would like to take a look if it is still there.
Does anyone know where it is?.
     regards tobyma123 :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Evesham town
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 July 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
I see that the parish was declared redundant in 1978 when St Lawrence's church was united with

All Saints. If you Google it,there are lots of entries for St Lawrence's Church - if I were you, I'd

contact them for info on parish boundaries at the time you're interested in.

Best Wishes

Everlea.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 14 17:18 BST (UK) »
If you go to http://maps.familysearch.org/ and enter Evesham in "Enter a location to search:" you will get a map showing the parish of "Evesham All Saints with St Lawrence". You can superimpose the map of the area.

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 July 14 17:25 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the Old Maps website http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html  Factory Yard and Brotherton Gardens were located on the west side of Littleworth Street where it meets Bewdley St.  Try finding them on Google Maps, look at the same location on the Old Maps - then click on the layer of the 1886 Town Map of Evesham.

It looks as though the properties have been demolished and the site is now a car park

Kay

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 July 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
You can see Factory Yard on the 1886 Town Plan at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=403574,243934 just to the left of Tredwell's Row.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 July 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Our family history society, B.M.S.G.H., covers the area.  If you are visiting you might find more information on your TARPLEE relatives by using the Evesham Index as the surname is listed.  I have no idea as to the level of information given in the index.

Go to http://www.bromsgrovebmsgh.co.uk/cms/worcestershire-resources/11-evesham-index.html

You will need to web mail the indexer, as it not yet on-line.

Regards

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 July 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Kay Mike Stan and Everlea  thank you so much for your imput  and interesting comments.
Would you credit it another car park, someone might find another king under it(LOL).
        kind regards  tobyma123 :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 July 14 15:35 BST (UK) »
After R3, anything is possible!