Author Topic: Appleton, Stevens, Ripon to Klondike  (Read 457 times)

Offline greenfingers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Appleton, Stevens, Ripon to Klondike
« on: Saturday 19 July 14 15:26 BST (UK) »
I've been researching relatives at Ripon, that is to say the Thomas Appleton (1848-1941) who gave his name to Thomas Appletons' butchers in Ripon marketplace. I found that his nephew William Appleton (1864-1957) married his cousin, Thomas' daughter Jane Gertrude, in Canada in 1912.

I've also found a 1933 newspaper article in which William recounts his adventures during the Klondike gold rush of 1898. He had emigrated to Canada in 1886 and by 1898 appears to have been more experienced than most who made the perilous journey. After working in the Yukon for a couple of years he moved onto Nome, Alaska for a season. Finally he moved back to Canada and lived near Victoria on Vancouver Island.

By 1832 he'd retired and between 1832 and 1947 was back living in Ripon, in Clotherholme Road with his daughter and her husband, William J Stevens, a teacher. In 1947 he returned with them to Canada where he died in 1957.

I'd be grateful for any information about any of this family, Appletons or Stevens, and will be glad to share what I have already found.