Author Topic: THAIN James and KORMACK Jane married 1805 Rathven  (Read 7213 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: THAIN James and KORMACK Jane married 1805 Rathven
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 July 14 15:20 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at Freereg? Quite a lot of Rathven OPRs have been transcribed and put on that site. There are other Banffshire parishes on the site. Perhaps would save some SP credits!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 July 14 15:53 BST (UK) »
his mother's name might be Slater not Sleater (OPR is awful). 

It's only 'awful' if you are under the impression that there is and was a 'correct' definitive spelling for every surname.

Other variants of Slater include Sclatter, Sclater, Slatter, Sklaiter, Sklaither, Sklaitter, Skleater, and Skleatter. They are all the same surname, just different ways of spelling it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 July 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
Too true Forfarian spellings can be so fluid - I see there's a 'Burges' no second 's' on Barbara's 1822 OPR - looks like the page has been rewritten (dates don't run in sequence) to give the Burges birth top billing! He gets a Mr and she get a Mrs nobody else on the page gets that courtesy must have been someone important.

William -  thanks I always forget to look at Freereg...going now....Banffshire is like a sweetie shop for genealogy there are so many records available! But I'm so glad I'm not looking for Fletts - they're everywhere!

Jen

Picture of my grannie with her father - Ann Thain was his grannie.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=671796.msg5169437#msg5169437

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 July 14 16:55 BST (UK) »
I see there's a 'Burges' no second 's' on Barbara's 1822 OPR - looks like the page has been rewritten (dates don't run in sequence) to give the Burges birth top billing! He gets a Mr and she get a Mrs nobody else on the page gets that courtesy must have been someone important.

Yes. Not one of mine as far as I know. I am fairly certain that this family was related to the family who were descended from William Burges(s) and Barbara Stewart, who lived near the mouth of the River Spey and may both have died in 1790. The second 's' was used some of the time.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 July 14 18:34 BST (UK) »
Just coming up for air after being submerged in Banffshire records for what seems like days - thanks William you have saved me a small fortune ;D

I am now confident I have Jane Cormack's parents.  Looks like James Cormack was an incomer from the Mearns (born Kineff) he married Jean Smith in 1783 in Rathven parish. Jean was living at Porteasy at the time of their marriage.  Their first two children Jane and Mary were born in Kineff while James, Margaret and John were born in Rathven. 

James Cormack (snr) is possibly the son of James Cormack and Mary Beattie born Kinneff 1760. Jean Smith is probably the daughter of James Smith and Jean Finley born Rottenslough 1764.

Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir